Monday, December 26, 2022

Romans 6:3-4 - Baptism and Union with Christ

Romans 6:3-4 - 3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.


Time: Paul wrote Romans from Corinth as he prepared to leave for Palestine. Phoebe (16:1,2) was given the great responsibility of delivering the letter to the Romans believers. At this time, Rome had a population of 1 million, many of whom were slaves. The Romans church was doctrinally sound, but it still needed rich doctrine and practical application. Rome had massive buildings but also slums.

What the Lord is Saying: I have studied this passage before. When I studied the book of Romans in 2014 I looked at this passage. I noted that the first five chapters of Roman were about doctrine -- getting lost and that we are all sinners and only Christ can make us clean -- and then starting in chapter 6 moving to application. Similar to circumcision, baptism is an ordinance that we must do. The saved person should not have a desire for sin any longer. A change has occurred and there is a change in our thinking but there is also a change in our actions. The change in our thinking show first to others by our being baptized. This baptism shows that we are in Christ and it shows others that we are a new creation. It shows others our willingness to be obedient to Him. As the water covers our entire body we have an entire body commitment to Him. 

This passage even mentions the words that we mention when someone is baptized -- walk in newness of life. We are testifying that our lives will be lived in a different way. 

But in these verses it also expresses baptism being a unity with Christ. We baptized into his death. Christ lived and died but in baptism we join with him in the death. So something happens here that is more than simply an act of obedience. We are united with Christ. I definitely didn't recognize this when I got baptized but I did get baptized and so this did occur in my life. And then as Christ was raised, we too. We became new creatures. I immediately also think that a person cannot lose their salvation. A true Christian is raised to walk in newness of life with Christ. Our life is new. We are born again. This isn't something that can be lost. Again because we are united with Christ. 

The Westminster Confession does offer some interesting words in 28.6:
The efficacy of baptism is not tied to that moment of time wherein it is administered; yet notwithstanding, by the right use of this ordinance, the grace promised is not only offered, but really exhibited and conferred by the Holy Ghost, to such (whether of age or infants) as that grace belongeth unto, according to the counsel of God’s own will, in his appointed time.

Maybe this is the reason the reformers believe that baptism is apt for those even as infants because this divine grace is conferred upon the elect. And maybe it is okay to get this out of the way as there is the recognition that grace is conferred at his appointed time. Not sure. 

In my previous study of Romans, by the time I arrive at Chapter 6 a person is already saved if the life of a Christian is seen in the light of the chronology of the book. In Chapter 4 my faith is counted as righteousness. My having faith resulted in this credit having occurred. And this faith also made me an heir to His Kingdom. And therefore I am justified before Him. So is this theory or did having faith already make this happen and now baptism in Chapter 6 speaks of how I live. I live without sin reigning in me any longer. I am dead to sin in verse 6:2 - How shall we who died to sin still live in it? And so therefore these words we are studying today speak to what has occurred or the picture of baptism that has occurred rather than the actual act of baptism. So maybe this passage really isn't a proclamation to be baptized but that now that I am a person that has had faith and grace has been conferred upon me, baptism shows me this picture of being buried and being raised in newness of life. And so from that point it does not matter then when baptism has occurred. And maybe this is the reason it can be done as infants. There is no saving power in baptism but rather it is the picture of the change that has occurred in the elect. 

I am not entirely sure. I continue to move on this journey of studying baptism and what it means. 

Summary: Baptism gives us a sign but in being baptized there also occurs a mystery - union with Christ in his death and resurrection. 

Promise: Look to the waters of baptism as proof that you have died to sin and have been raised with Christ. 

Prayer: Lord, this learning of baptism remains a learning. At times, I start to feel closer to the meaning of it and then at other times I still feel like I have a ways to go in understanding it. In it, is it only a picture of do you confer something on me when it occurs. You clearly are using baptism to show me something but it also seems to be doing something in me - uniting me to You. At the minimum, a change has occurred in me. And the life of those who are in Christ are different. My old way of living is now just that, the old way, and in Christ I am a new creation. May it be that simple. That is a simple application but the deeper theology around this act continues to make me ponder. Keep illuminating me with the words of scripture. Thank you for people in my life that help me to understand you.  


No comments:

Post a Comment