Friday, January 13, 2023

Exodus 12 - The Lord's Supper as Remembrance

Exodus 12 - 7 Moreover they shall take some of the blood and put it on the two doorposts and on the lintel of the houses in which they eat it...11d you shall eat it in haste--it is the Lord's Passover...13b and when I see the blood I will pass over you, and no plague will befall you to destroy you when I strike the land of Egypt...14 Now this day will be a memorial to you, and you shall celebrate it as a feast to the Lord; throughout your generations you are to celebrate it as a permanent ordinance


Time: Moses is the most likely author of this book. His education and early tradition make him the likely author and it says in Exodus 24:4 that he wrote what the Lord said. The title Exodus means departure of Israel from Egypt by the hand of God. The book covers 80 years, from 1526 to 1446 with the events at Mount Sinai. God fulfilling promises and his story of redemption are the central ideas.

What the Lord is Saying: John Calvin said, "The new covenant does not destroy the old in substance, but only in form." In today's lesson, we remember the Passover and we also see how the Lord's Supper is linked to it. We previously saw with the sacrament of baptism a link between it and circumcision. Thus, these sacraments differ in their administration, but their substance is the same. Baptism, like circumcision, points to regeneration while the Lord's Supper, like the Passover, points to redemption. 

As I have stated before and believe--God's redemption of His people does not change throughout history. One of the reasons I reject the claim that many today make that baptism is needed for salvation is I don't agree that salvation changes. The Bible has always pointed or looked forward to Jesus and His sacrifice. John 8:56 is an interesting verse by Jesus in which He says, "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad." Jesus even follows this up by saying, "Before Abraham was born, I am." Whoa! Jesus here is engaging with people about the relationship between Himself, God and Abraham, showing that He was promised by Abraham. And Abraham saw the future. And now today, as we live past Bible times, we look back to Jesus and His sacrifice. 

Before Christ and His final atonement there was the sacrifice of animals offering done to atone for sin. It was regular but through blood--sin was covered. In Christ, the perfect sacrifice, atonement is permanent, once for all (Hebrews 7:27). And Hebrews also records 10:18, "Now where there is forgiveness of these things, there is no longer any offering for sin." Jesus has forgiven sin once and for all. 

The text today refers to the old testament sacrament of atonement and redemption. The blood from an animal - a lamb - was placed on doorposts to signify that those within those walls would not receive judgement for their sin. God judged those in the land of Egypt, as Pharoah led these people to reject God. Blood in essence forgave people of their sin. I think this is important because sin was similar or the same in these people. But one was saved and the other not. This is also a sobering truth. For God does not save all. Some will reject Him and some will turn from God and His ways. All of the onus is  on God for what is occurring - saving some, not saving others. God is choosing. People may not like this. They make it think it unfair. So I think what man does then is set up a system of religion that is instead based upon the faithfulness or good deeds of a person. At least that is my thinking. Man has this desire to put the credit on himself. We like that plan. Our world works in this manner so we want things with God to work the same way. 

And yet does our world work this way? I often wonder why some people have good paying jobs while others do not. I mean God has granted me with gifts and I have utilized them and grown through the ranks to achieve what I have, getting paid in the process. I look at people that play sports or sing songs and the world pays them in huge riches. We are all different, each with different gifts. Not all of us can rise to this level so isn't all of life lived in God's sovereignty. Is He not in control of everything? And yet each person still has accountability to their lives. I think of people dealing drugs, trafficking women, abusing innocent people -- are these people under God's control as well. I've been reading Jeremiah and God uses Babylon as His instrument to judge others. Horrible things occur to nations. I'm sure somewhat innocent people are saved while others are redeemed. 

But again for this lesson, in reviewing the sacrament of the Lord's Supper. Sacraments, as I have seen are about remembrance of an event already that has occurred. The Passover was celebrated to remember God redeeming His people. The Lord's Supper therefore also is now celebrated, after Jesus paid for sin, forgiven sin, to remember that He has redeemed us. It was instituted prior to Him fully redeeming us. And yet for us now, we practice it after Jesus has fully redeemed us. 

Summary: The Passover remembered God saving the people of Israel from Egyptian bondage. The Lord's Supper remembers Jesus saving us all from eternal damnation because of our great rebellion to God. 

Promise: As we take the supper, let us remember that because Christ paid the price for us, we owe Him everything that we are. 

Prayer: O God, you are great. You are powerful. You are in charge. You have redeemed mankind and redeemed me. You have placed your Spirit in me so that I will know and worship You and make you known throughout this world, living as your vessel to encourage others in the same way. You have chosen me for this time. Each day is a gift from You. Each moment. I look at my wife and am amazed at the gift you have given to me in her. The joy of being with her. And thankful also for people you have placed in my life. Everyday is a celebration of your providence. Lord, you gave us the Lord's Supper a gift to come together and celebrate your great love for us in redeeming us not simply for a moment but for an eternity. Lord, would you help that observance time for me to be a sweet joy and a sweet time of remembering. Plant in that time I take the cup and the bread the realization that without You I am nothing. Lord, I think you know I seem to struggle with that time. I know it is needed and I want to do it, but often I miss or don't feel its connection or treat it as a celebration. Maybe I am a person that struggles with those type of events and yet simply enjoy the moment my moment of living with You as my Savior and Redeemer. I am not sure, but I do thank you for this time to spend in Your word and reflect on You and what You have done for me. I still don't know why I am so blessed. 




No comments:

Post a Comment