Monday, January 16, 2023

I Corinthians 11:26 - The Lord's Supper and Proclamation

I Corinthians 11:26 - For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until He comes


Time: Not the first, but 2nd letter to Corinthians, but the first to survive and to be considered authoritative. Written in AD 55, it was penned after Paul had reports of quarreling in this church he had previously visited. Paul covers a number of subjects, but all focus on the Christian's life in the church.

What the Lord is Saying: In the last lesson I admitted in my prayer a struggle I have with the Lord's Supper. It is a sacrament I do but as I do it I suppose the motion of going through it often is not a celebration or perhaps for me I don't look forward to it like I think I should. Maybe I struggle with celebrations. Birthday's were special growing up and at times they can be a very special gathering of people. Christmas can be tough because it is so saturated in gift giving which isn't a bad thing, but just seems not what that day is to be about. And yet going to a Christmas Eve service or even church on Christmas sometimes in itself is a struggle. What I enjoy instead is the opportunity to be with people. And yet there is more to it than that. 

Today's passage mentions a purpose with the Lord's supper that I do not think I have ever considered and that is by practicing it I am proclaiming the Lord's death or proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ and what He has done for us. Thus, in practicing the Lord's supper it is the same as sharing Christ with someone or going witnessing. It is a time for me also to testify all that God has done for me. I think in the spirit of remembrance which it also communicates I very often think it is only a time of reflection and thankfulness to God for what He has done. That definitely is a part of it, but it is also about proclaiming Christ. 

And so just as the Gospel is to be preached continually by me, the Lord's Supper is to practiced regularly by me as well. Jesus wants us to do it regularly because our testimony of Him should be often as well. However, it seems that each person or church body decides what regular means. Some think regular is weekly, some monthly, some quarterly. I don't believe the frequency is important and yet a church can decide it is important. In proclaiming His death I am proclaiming that His death has benefited me. 

This passage today is during a message about the Lord's Supper and its meaning. Jesus state, "This is My body, which is for you, do this in remembrance of Me." And "This cup is the new covenant in My blood, do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me." Thus, there is a special message here that sets apart this particular bread and cup from all others. It represents Jesus' body that is broken for us when he was pierced in His hands and feet and side. He took the punishment for our sin. We did nothing to earn this, He did everything to pay for it. And also the wine depicts His blood that was poured out for us from His wounds suffered on the cross. Like the bitterness of the wine is the bitterness of God's wrath Jesus bore on the cross. 

Summary: When I practice the Lord's Supper I am proclaiming Christ and what He has done for me in breaking His body and pouring out His blood to save me. 

Promise: The supper is to proclaim the death of Christ and so it is for those that profess faith in Him. We take the supper seriously because we take Christ and His death seriously. 

Prayer: Lord, thank you for continuing to bring richness to Your Word and to my application of it. You know I have struggled with the Lord's Supper and thank you for this message and showing me it is also a time to proclaim You and what You have done on the cross for me, in dying for me and rescuing me for all eternity. Help me to take this with me as I observe the Lord's Supper. Help me to always take the practice of it seriously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment