Tuesday, January 17, 2023

John 6:22-59 - The Lord's Supper and Feeding on Christ

John 6:22-59 
54 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. 55 For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink. 56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him.


Time: Throughout church history, Christians have consistently attributed this gospel to Jesus' disciple John, the brother of James, the son of Zebedee. John was one of the inner circle of Jesus' most trusted companions. It's most likely that John wrote his gospel while he was in Ephesus, and that he wrote it for an audience that lived outside Palestine, perhaps in Asia Minor. John appears to have had in mind members of a Jewish community who had come to believe that Jesus was the Messiah, but who had continued to worship in the synagogue. John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing he was to confirm the belief that Jesus was both the Christ and the Son of God.

What the Lord is Saying: Jesus repeatedly in this passage speaks, "I am the bread of life." In verse 51 he says, "I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he shall live forever; and the bread also which I shall give for the life of the world is My flesh." These are strong words Jesus is proclaiming. Immediately I think of that Islam man I spoke to and how they only accept the book of Matthew. Naturally, they don't accept this text because it is so clear that we must surrender to Jesus and He is the only means to eternal life. 

These words Jesus is speaking were probably before any mention of the Lord's Supper. I would think there may be different interpretations of this text and its full meaning. 

Today's passage speaks of rather striking verses from Jesus. He says we are to eat His Flesh and drink His blood. Roman Catholics and Lutherans believe the bread and cup become the actual flesh of Jesus while Reformers do not believe Jesus' body can be present in more than one place at a time. 

So for me in reading this passage, I do believe Jesus is using these words to help us understand in a more physical and tangible manner the meaning of being joined with Him. As I read the Old Testament, there is much mention on duty. I know God wans His followers to trust Him and be surrendered before Him, but Jesus seems to take it a step further and speaks of a union with Christ we are to have. Jesus comes to earth all God. And he wants us to fully embrace Him with all of us. It is more than outward obedience but inner obedience and a complete life of surrender. God is not someone we simply hang on the wall, but we take Him in. He makes it clear to us, "I am the bread of life."  I am not simply a part of life for you, but I am what you need at every moment of each day. 

Bread and drink is something we need to survive. Jesus is saying you need Him to survive. True life is found in Him. And yes perhaps latter when he institutes the Lord's Supper this passage will bring greater meaning to us. So that as we take the bread and cup we are reminded of Him redeeming us and that we need Jesus not simply at a moment in our life but at every moment. We need Him throughout the day. As my body cramps and looks forward to food. I am to look forward to my time with Jesus. I am to desire that time with Him. He is my sustenance. 

I will be honest in saying I do not think I comprehend this yet. I do enjoy my moments with Him as I do enjoy my moments with my kids, friends, and Pamela so much. May I yearn for Him in an even greater way. Like the man sitting down on the floor as I walked in Heights as a young boy going to Potluck dinner and he was there looking at his Bible and singing with Joy in his Soul. He has always stuck in my mind for maybe for the first time I saw someone completely surrendered and in love with Jesus. And it struck me. 

Summary: Jesus is the Bread of Life. Like bread and wine (drink) I need to want him every moment of every day and I need Him to nourish me. 

Promise: When we take the supper in faith, we are communing with Christ and marked as those who will inherit eternal life. 

Prayer: O God, you are great. I thank you for these words from John and the great meaning of You being our sustenance and for me to be the same as food that I need each day many times during the day. You are my food and my bread and my drink. You have bore my sin and secured me with you forever in eternity. May I keep remembering this and as I take the Lord's Supper may it be an extra bit of joy and time of celebration as to what You have done for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment