Saturday, January 7, 2023

Luke 22:14-20 - The Lord's Supper Commanded

Luke 22:14-20 - 14 When the hour had come, He reclined at the table, and the apostles with Him. 15 And He said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; 16 for I say to you, I shall never again eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” 17 And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He said, “Take this and share it among yourselves; 18 for I say to you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine from now on until the kingdom of God comes.” 19 And when He had taken some bread and given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” 20 And in the same way He took the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood."


Time: The Gospel according to Luke was probably the last Synoptic Gospel to be written, thus penned around 60 AD. The words salvation are in Luke, though not in Matthew and Mark. Luke, a gentile physician, wrote more than any other NT writer, writing primarily of redemptive history.

What the Lord is Saying: The other sacrament that the Reformers ask us to practice is the Lord's Supper. In this passage - Luke 22 - Jesus builds a bridge between the Passover and the Lord's Supper much in the same way that Paul showed a bridge between circumcision and baptism. Thus, part of understanding the Lord's Supper is understanding the Passover, which most Jews of that day understood, but I admit I need reminders and so I will look a this meaning further in future lessons. 

Verse 15 of the text today mentions that Jesus earnestly desired to have this Passover meal with his disciples. To me it conveys much of the mission of Jesus and that was to have a relationship with people and to impart to them the truth of Gospel, desiring for all people to be saved. Jesus is on a journey that he knows and that others will understand soon enough. He has mentioned his death several times prior and before he dies he has a great desire to spend this time with his disciples. Perhaps in a way it also communicates the importance of this gathering. We are to be a people that gather's together in community often and Jesus understands this and wants this for Him and for us. Jesus is on a mission to preach the Gospel but also to show people the Love of God. He wants to be with us. 

For Jesus, in these passages, are remarks that this is His Last Supper. The Kingdom of God is coming. This again being the salvation of God's people. His sacrifice on the cross. It is coming. He speaks of the signs of His sacrifice, His body, and His blood - bread and drink.

As with baptism, with the Lord's Supper. there seems to be more there than meets the eye. Meaning, what we see happening and what we are practicing seems to have a bigger meeting than simply having water over us or taking bread and wine. A connection is taking place between us and Jesus. Water cleanses us. Jesus cleanses us. Bread and wine nourish us. Jesus will provide for us his love and sacrifice. In baptism there is a union with Christ. In the Lord's Supper there is also a union but also an important remembrance of his body and blood sacrifice. 

Summary: The Lord's Supper has significance in light of the Passover. We are united with Christ and remember His Body and Blood Sacrifice. 

Promise: As we partake of the Lord's Supper, we should think on what the elements represent and ask the Lord to make us grateful for saving us. 

Prayer: God, you instituted these observances because of Your great love for us, for me. Too often Lord I gloss over them or do them without much thought. Yet, Lord, there is deep significance in their practice and so help me Lord to take them more seriously and help me to be more grateful in remembering the great sacrifice you made for me. I love Your truth, but I admit at times I don't celebrate it like I know I should. I thank You for the relationship You want with Me and I want that with others and to continue to rediscover You. Give meaning to me as I study these words in the coming days about this sacrament. 


No comments:

Post a Comment