Saturday, May 30, 2015

Romans 13:12-14 - Living in the Light of the Day

Romans 13:12-14 - 12 The night is far gone; the day is at hand. So then let us cast off the works of darkness and put on the armor of light. 13 Let us walk properly as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and sensuality, not in quarreling and jealousy. 14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.

Message: Put on the Lord Jesus Christ

Time: Written in AD 57 from Greece, to the Christians, both Gentile and Jewish in Rome

What the Lord is Saying:

Overview
As a person in Christ, I am to "put on" the Lord Jesus Christ each day. I have a responsibility in how I live and breath and act in the world in which I live. I was reading from an article in TableTalk about living an Ordinary Life in such a manner that glorifies an extraordinary Man. It referenced I Thessalonians 4 and (1) controlling my sexual desires and living a pure life, (2) loving one another, especially those in the church, and (3) work hard and be content not being noticed. So, as I read these verses now in Romans that are a culmination of this section on my responsibility toward my neighbor, it helps me to focus on walking properly, put on the armor of light, cast off the works of darkness, make no provision for the flesh, do not gratify the flesh's desires, but instead put on the Lord Jesus Christ in my life. 

I have really enjoyed thinking about discipline and training myself and it is often a quest to live within the means of the person God has made me, and learn to control myself, so that I will walk in Christ. 

My central reason for living like this is not so that I would like pious or God would shine a light on Me, but I live this way to glorify God with my life for He has saved me, and there is no other way to live, but a life of gratitude. 

If people see good in me, then it is because of Jesus in Me and I want to give glory to God for this. 

Breaking it down

The night is far gone (v.12)
The night or darkness is cut off or has come to a close. I must remember that God declares me completely righteous ("The righteous man shall live by faith (1:17)"; "the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe (3:22)") and so in Christ the night or the opposite of light has been cut off and I am far gone from it. 

The day is at hand (v.12)
The glory of living in heaven is near. On one hand, living in darkness is gone from my life, and living with God in heaven is near or at hand. In between, I am being sanctified or growing in holiness and conformity to Christ. 

Preparation (v.12)
What does a person do that is preparing to go to the White House? They should put on their good clothes and clean themselves up. I think of all the details that occur when someone like the president comes to town for a visit. People roll out the red carpet, sometimes not literally, but often in ways such as making the surroundings look nice, making themselves look nice, and making sure every detail is ready. As a Christian, I am preparing to go to heaven, and even now, I should be in constant preparation. I should be living in anticipation of that day. I will want to put aside the works of darkness and instead present myself in the Light.  I am to put on the armor of light. This armor includes truth, righteousness, faith, hope, love, humility. 

Walk in the daytime (v. 13)
In the daytime, all of my actions are clearly seen. It is at dark that foul and wicked deeds are done. I am to live as if all my conduct were seen and there was nothing to conceal. My life should be lived the same way in private that is in lived in public. In public, my life is on its best behavior. But, my private life should be lived in the same manner. 

Not living in lewd behavior, strife, or envy (v.13)
There should not be any disorder or sensuality, rioting and drunkenness, lewd, immodest behavior. These are common to the heathen. There is a deception that is present in these sins. Often, there is the thought or idea that this type of behavior or living is better than simple monogamy. But, really this just is another type of drug or greed that takes place in life. Often times, what I notice in life, is that trusting God is difficult because we have things presented to us that seemingly have clear outcomes and they are things that the heathens shout from the rooftops that there is nothing better than these enjoyments. But, God asks us to trust Him. He created us and he created sensuality and so he most definitely understands how it should best be a part of our lives. And I need to remember this. My happiness in marriage means I am submitting to the Lord and accepting His hand of providence. 

The vices that are listed here are not independent of one another, but are often performed in concert with the others. Our envy results in us feeling like we must have what other people have. 

Put on the Lord Jesus Christ (v.14)
Put on takes on the meaning of putting on a jacket or apparel. Jesus was different from anything in the previous verse. He was temperate, chaste, pure, peacable, and meek. He is to be my example, my guide, my pattern and guide. 

No provision (v.14)
On the contrary, make no quest for anything that is contrary to the Lord, or is natural man's desire.

Promise: Jesus is My everything

 

No comments:

Post a Comment