Thursday, October 2, 2014

Romans 8:18 - The Glory to be Revealed

Romans 8:18 - For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

Message: Welcome to the future

Time: This book was probably written between 56 and 57 B.C. Paul was in Greece, probably Corinth when he wrote. It was sent to Gentile believers, but also believers with a strong Jewish element.

What the Lord is Saying:


I was looking for a somewhat simple outline of Romans 8. I found this on biblepilot.com.


Romans 8 Outline
  1. 8:1-11 Life in the Spirit
    1. 8:1-4 Freedom from condemnation
    2. 8:5-8 Spiritual vs. fleshly thinking
    3. 8:9-11 Indwelling Spirit gives life
  2. 8:12-17 We are children of God
    1. 8:12-13 Live according to the Spirit
    2. 8:14-17 Adopted heirs of God
  3. 8:18-30 Future glory eclipses present suffering
    1. 8:18-23 Creation subjected to futility. (Gen 3:17-19)
    2. 8:24-25 Hope sustains us
    3. 8:26-27 Holy Spirit intercedes for us
    4. 8:28-30 God’s purpose
  4. 8:31-39 God makes Christians victorious
    1. 8:31-33 God is on our side
    2. 8:34-36 Christ intercedes for us
    3. 8:37-39 We are more than conquerors

As I learned previously, the Holy Spirit is mentioned 20 times in this chapter. So, interwoven in this chapter is Sanctification with the Spirit. Chapter 6, to me, was about Sanctification, beyond sin. Chapter 7 was about Sanctification, beyond the Law. How am I to live now that I am in Christ? As I march forward it is always important to not forget what has occurred. I have been justified, righteousness imputed to me, by believing through faith, in accordance with grace. The faith I have is the same faith that all have had throughout the centuries. It is the same faith Abraham had. And going forward it will be the same. God does not change. There are different challenges and circumstance for me here in the 21st century now, but the ways of God are no different.

Verse 1 of chapter 8 continues to be a pivotal verse to me. Despite the fact that I have sinful tendencies as explained at the end of chapter 7, there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus. For I have been set free by Christ. And the Law and all it requires has been fulfilled in me, made possible by Christ, walking according to the Spirit (verse 4). So, on this earth I live life in the Spirit. That is the promise and the principle, not always the reality, but the intent and the way.

And verses 5-8 are a reminder that there are two classes of people in the world, those who walk according to the flesh and those who walk according to the Spirit. I must remember this as I walk throughout this world. I am exposed to people walking according to the flesh. In fact, the majority of what I experience are being with these flesh-walkers. And so I'm daily exposed to this. I think, for the Christian, there is a tendency to sequester ourselves from these folks. I'm very proud of my children for being in public school. Has it been hard? Yes. Has it been a challenge? Definitely. But, I believe each one has made a decision to follow Christ. Yet, each one is being challenged each day because they are surrounded by flesh-walkers. But, it is clear the Spirit is with them and there, but the tennis match they are experiencing is also clear. I need to model spirit-walking. They need to see a difference. That is how I am to live throughout life. People need to see that there is a difference between flesh-walking and spirit-walking.

But as I live, please remember, as spoken in verses 9-11, it is the Spirit in me working. The Spirit gives life to those that have the indwelling of the Him.

In verses 12-17, Paul wants me to realize something, I believe, as I think about the life I am now living in the Spirit, not in the flesh. I have the principles and I know the Spirit is the one doing the work through me, but I'm also to know I'm not simple a person in life with the Spirit, but I'm a child; I'm a family member; I have been adopted. I belong with Him. I am a fellow heir. I am included with God. I am close to Him. I am not alone. I am so thankful for the family God has given me because it shows me everyday that I am not alone, but God wants me to know that beyond those relationships, my sonship is with Him. There is a bigger family that I am a member of. On one hand, God helps me see that I am His only child, but on the other hand I know that I have many brothers and sisters. In life, I have an earthly mother and father, wife, child, friend, co-worker. In Christ, we are all brothers and sisters in the family of God. I don't know if I completely comprehend that. But, I want to.

Suffering included
As I come out of this topic of being a child of God, I am reminded that in Christ there is suffering. yes, I am a family member of God. I am a fellow heir. And God's children experience suffering.

I think of the preface to a presentation of the gospel with the words, "God has a wonderful plan for your life." We could also add "suffering" to that and say, "And God has suffering for you." Sounds kind of funny. But, it is true.

Suffering doesn't compare with Glory
And here is an amazing truth. The suffering that I may experience will have nothing to do with the glory that I experience. So, how I may suffer in this present time and the extent of my suffering or degree of my suffering can not even put up next to or compared with the glory that is to come.

I am to remember this. Again, I have been justified and made right with God through Jesus and His death and resurrection. I am right with God. I am justified. I will reside in glorification. In between those moments, God is sanctifying me and making me more holy. Along the way, I will suffer. And that suffering may feel great, but don't for a moment think it is greater or even can compare with the glory that will come and be revealed to me.

Again, I don't comprehend that.

I talk to many people online through the global media outreach ministry and many of them are living in very tough circumstances. They are experiencing many trials and suffering. They are begging and screaming and hoping to be far removed from those circumstances. I guess that is normal. And yet, through those moments, they should be reminded that glory in the future with God will occur and the extent or severity will not even be able to be compared to the extent or severity of the glory they will receive.

I don't know even if I suffer. I live in a safe world. I actually write my life in such a way to avoid any and all suffering. I have all the creature comforts, food on the table, easy access to it, a good job, a healthy family, an active life. Yes, I have some broken things at home. Yes, we just discovered a major leak in a shower. A leak. That is my suffering? It is true, I don't need suffering in order to understand future glory. But, still, I must guard against this safe and comfortable life I live. And yet I fear suffering and I shouldn't.

I don't get it.

Promise: From Tabletalk, June 23, 2014: "It is not that our suffering is on one end of a spectrum and glory is on the other. There is no comparison between the two. The glory to come will far surpass even the best that we can imagine."

No comments:

Post a Comment