Sunday, October 5, 2014

Romans 8:26-27 - The Spirit's Intercession

Romans 8:26-27 - 26 In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; 27 and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.

Message: Prayer as it should be

Time: This book was probably written between 56 and 57 B.C. Paul was in Greece, probably Corinth when he wrote. It was sent to Gentile believers, but also believers with a strong Jewish element.

What the Lord is Saying:

Review
It never gets old to review where I've come from so far in this study of Romans. I definitely am loving this study. I've studied Romans before but I don't think I've ever gotten this far into it. I tend to be a starter and not a finisher, so I still have a goal to finish.


Romans 1 continues to be my favorite in all of scripture. I love the introduction Paul makes of this letter in the first 17 verses, proclaiming that it is all about the gospel, not just the letter, but really his life is all about the gospel and proclaiming it. He longs to see the people in Rome. Why? Because they are all about the gospel and making it known.


But then the rest of Romans 1 gives us a heavy dose on the reality of our culture. The reality is our culture has replaced God with, well, basically anything else. And the scariest thing is, "God has given them over" to it. It reminds me of Moses and Pharaoh. God sent Moses to Pharaoh and Pharaoh's heart was hardened. In the first half mentions of the hardening of Pharaoh's heart, it was Pharaoh admitting a hardened heart, but in the last half it was that God had hardened his heart. Same thing in Romans 1. It starts out with people knowing God, but not honoring, not giving thanks, but exchanged God for something else and then it moves to God giving them over to their degrading passions.


So, in my opinion the only way they can come back is if God draws them and this often the result of our fervent praying.


The last half of Romans 1 is really directed toward the guilt of the Gentile, so Paul takes the time to speak of the guilt of the Jew in chapter 2 and 3 through verse 20.  It is clear the Law won't save the Jew and the act of circumcision won't save the Jew. No one gets a free pass before God. Paul clearly shows that there is nothing of man's doing that can make him right with God. That is a very hard truth for people to accept.


At the end of chapter 3 is really perhaps a small Gospel presentation which is really kind of fitting. The Gospel is simple. God will make me righteous. Without God interceding I am unrighteous. God intercedes by sending His Son as our redeemer. I receive righteousness by faith apart from any works I may do. It's actually very simple.


Paul then confirms that this is nothing new and Abraham had the same thing happen to him whereby God  declared Him righteous and Paul explains this in chapter 4.


What does it mean to be justified? Chapter 5 tells us the benefits. The first one is well understood and received, it is peace. But, the 2nd one is rarely celebrated. We have joy in tribulation. It is out of our sin, our mistakes, our goof-ups and then our trials and tribulations that God is glorified and in our trials as redeemed people our faith is confirmed, validated, and brings us hope in the day of Glory. and the 3rd benefit is I am saved from God's wrath. In Adam, sin spread to all men resulting in death to all. In Christ, redemption is available to all, resulting in eternal life with God.


Chapter 6, 7, and 8 then pose the question, "What then?" Between this justification and glorification resides my sanctification. As I heard a pastor say, when a person is baptized, they are not held under and sent to glory, they are raised up to walk new in life. The Life of a regenerate Christian should be all about growing in holiness. Chapter 6 tells me sin is dead in me, so flee from it. And then in Chapter 7 don't continue in my old life of being obedient to the Law on my own strength, I must always remember the Law is not capable of making me righteous. But God working through me can fulfill the Law. But, I must always keep in mind the weakness of my own flesh (this is why I personally think accountability is of utmost importance to all believers in Christ per Hebrews 10:24-25). And Paul then shows me really the crown of my life now in Christ and that is the Spirit of God is in me. The Spirit will deliver me from the power of my flesh, will confirm me as a son (child) of God. and will focus me in life on my future glory. I love how Solomon records it in Ecclesiastes 3:11. "He has made everything beautiful (appropriate) in its own time. He has also set eternity in the human heart. Yet so that man (no one) can fathom what God has done from beginning to end." The key in that verse is God takes cares of the details. God tells us the beginning and focuses on the end and I must let him take care of and trust Him with the in between. Easier said than done.


So, once again, in Chapter 8 the Holy Spirit is confirming and focusing me on the future. On one hand I can rejoice now because I am part of the family of God. Life is futile. No doubt. But, I have hope. Again, rely on eternity.


Current context
What is so important about verse 26 and 27 is their leading up verse to verse 28. Verse 28 is one of those often name it, claim it verses. Like so many verses pulled out and used in the Bible, I think we and I must be careful of its use. And verse 26 and 27 are so important in its understanding as well as the meaning of these verses going back to verse 18.


According to my Bible, 18-25 is one paragraph. And 26-30 is another paragraph.


Weakness in praying
Very clearly these two verses, 26 and 27 are speaking of prayer (28-30 as well in my opinion). The Spirit clearly as spoken of in verses 18-25 and going back to verse 1 of chapter 8 is there with us in life. He is there for the in-between -- the time between the beginning and end and more specifically in life of the justified, the time between justification and glorification. So, the Spirit is with us in life. Well, the Spirit is also with us in our weakness. Could it be Paul is letting us know that a weakness is prayer?


"In the same way" that hope helps us while we live in the midst of futility, the Spirit helps our weakness. And so obviously, what Paul is saying we (or more specifically the church in Rome)


I can identify with this. Prayer is a weak thing in my life. I can sense the Spirit prompting many times to pray. Some times I listen, many times I don't. I often listen to the lie that prayer doesn't make sense. Why would a sovereign God ask me to pray?  But I think that's a question I don't need to ask. My tendency is to ask why, but as scripture tells me the clay doesn't ask the potter why did you make me this way so I don't ask why, I am to do because the command to pray is clear.


I notice Paul doesn't tell people to pray. Prayer is assumed. It is assumed the Christians in Rome are praying. Pray is assumed to be a part of our lives. Has Paul assumed anything in Romans? That is almost a comical question because the man who has presented such a thorough presentation of condemnation, justification and sanctification thus far has clearly assumed nothing in those concepts. And yet, here, prayer is assumed to occur and also prayer is clearly a weakness.


Good news about prayer
Paul offers to me good news about prayer. The Spirit is with me. The Spirit comes alongside me. I know the Spirit prompts me to pray, though these verses don't convey that thought. But, the Spirit, just as He is gives me hope in the midst of futility, is also there to help me with my praying.


The word "groanings" is used here. It has been used before. In verse 22, the creation groans in regards to the reality of life being about nothing and the creation experiences the pain of life. And in verse 23, groaning even occurs for those in Christ in regards to a new position in Christ, including as adopted sons) and that our body is redeemed. To me groanings is non-verbal. It's something that occurs within us that is there, but not able to be articulated or voiced. It is something that is happening, but can't readily be described. It doesn't mean that we don't often try to describe it for we habitually feel a need to answer all of the "why" questions in life. But, I really think Paul is saying to me basically that, "yes, you know you are to be a praying man, and the Spirit is there helping you in ways that really can't be described."


I don't think this is too hard to comprehend. When I do think about how big God is and what it means that everything I see He authored and I see this world in all of its intricacies and continuous movement and long-term time and timeline is all being sustained by Him, it just seems easy to realize that God speaks and works through me in ways that aren't describable.

Good news in praying
Verse 26 is the principle. Verse 26 describes the principle. Paul continuously in Romans offers me a principle first and then the application or the specifics or further explains what this means to my daily life and the practical part of the principle.

"God searches our hearts." Prayer is a time often about Psalm 139 time where God is searching me to see if there is anything offensive in me (verse 24). I think this is an application for the Christian and Non-Christian. It is God who is at first is helping man see where they have been a sinner. It is God that draws people to Himself. He searches our hearts to help us see our offense.

But here further what God is doing is searching our hearts to help us see our sin, see where our flesh has corrupted us, as is spoken of at the end of Romans 7. Our heart is being searched to align ourselves with the indwelling Spirit in us ("He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is"). We are meant to be better aligned in prayer.

God intercedes for us
And in praying we realize that God is interceding for us. My Bible adds words to this text and those are in italics. So, the rest of the verse says, "He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God." If I remove the italics, it reads, "He intercedes for the saints according to God." God prays for me according to Himself. So, God is praying that I would be about Him and His ways.

We work so hard to pray. We bring God big lists. We often pray, "if it's according to your will God" Prayer has become more about what people are struggling with at any given time that about exposing our own selves in prayer.

One of the things that I really enjoy about the new church we are attending (over the last 6 or 7 weeks) is that, in the service, they have a time of confession. They have an intentional time set aside to confess ones sins. One week, one of the pastors mentioned that many times that time needs to be about Psalm 139 because often we come into prayer having no idea what our sin is. And then other times we should be about Psalm 51 and confessing those sins. There is no problem with mentioning the hurts that people are experiencing, the trials and tribulations, but I must not forget that first and foremost prayer is about exposing me. And then aligning me with God and His ways.

As I learn through scripture, I need to be careful. And I think I need to be careful as I pray. Ultimately, the Spirit is there, and God is praying for me. I need to pray for others and the things that matter most in their lives, namely their salvation and God rescuing them from their habitual life of sin without regret or remorse towards God. And I need to be careful about making prayer just a time to focus what I feel like is a problem for me (getting out of a trial).

One last note
It is clear that we don't pray correctly. I think we tend to think that any prayer is a good and right prayer. But, I think I can see through these verses that some prayers need not be prayed. 

Promise: I am limited in my understanding of myself and my circumstances. The Holy Spirit takes my prayers and makes them perfect. God prays perfectly in accordance to the way of the Holy Spirit and His requests are always granted. - My conclusion from June 26, 2014 Tabletalk




No comments:

Post a Comment