Monday, October 13, 2014

Romans 8:33-34 - None Can Condemn

Romans 8:33-34 33 Who will bring a charge against God’s elect? God is the one who justifies; 34 who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us.

Message: Encouragement, no one can really charge anything against when we are in Christ

Time: This book was probably written between 56 and 57 B.C. Paul was in Greece, probably Corinth when he wrote. It was sent to Gentile believers, but also believers with a strong Jewish element.

What the Lord is Saying:

Review
Starting in verse 26, Paul seems to be offering an encouragement to me and other Christians. Through these verses he is confirming who I am in Christ so that I can rest on these objective (not subjective) promises.

When I struggle in prayer, as I do often, I can be reminded that God is there, providing his Spirit to intercede on my behalf for me. So God is my help in prayer. And even more so I can have the assurance, in verse 28, that He is working everything out in my life for good. He is using everything and working it all together for good.

Why would He do this? Because He chose me, as it says in verse 28, "that I am called according to his purposes." My life therefore is lived for His purposes. He knew me before there was me. He has a purpose in my life and that is to conform me to the image of His son. It is like the Degarmo & Key song, "Perfect Reflection."

Like a perfect reflection of You
In the heart of me
A perfect reflection of You
Is what I want to be

Make my life a portrait like a work of art
A living revelation of Your Heart

He is growing me and working things together in my life so that I will reflect Jesus in a perfect way on this earth and for all time.

When He justified me, He glorified me. So naturally through sanctification, He will make me holy.

I can't help but think that the audience that he is speaking to, these Roman Christians, though they are knee-deep in preaching the gospel, they are also knee-deep in struggles and trials and difficult times because Paul in these words of Romans 8, now specifically, continues to re-affirm that God is on their side. The Spirit is with them. They are chosen. God is for them. Paul speaks to them in many different ways, repeatedly reminding them that God is there, He cares.

No charge against us
Though it feels at times people or events are leveling blows at me, I can rest assure that there is no lasting charge (verse 33) that can be made against me because I am God's elect. This should produce in me all kinds of comfort.

In life, I am so well trained in responding to difficult situations or attacks or charges in an unwholesome manner. I am so quick to react rather than to respond. I want could be slow to anger or slow to react.

Only God condemns
In verse 34, it is God who justifies or it is God who is the one that makes people right and acceptable and true and worthy to receive honor and blessing.then also he is the one who condemns, so please be reminded and hear this, Christian, no one can bring a charge against you.

A God who intercedes for us
It seems that in these last few verses of Romans 8,we have a Father that intercedes for us, Jesus who intercedes for us, the Spirit intercedes for us. We have God in three persons interceding for us. God is once again on our side. We don't need to fret with the struggles that we are experiencing.

Promise For those in Christ, the verdict of righteousness is already occurred and nothing can hurt us.

No comments:

Post a Comment