Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Romans 8:16-17 - The Spirit's Internal Witness

Romans 8:16-17 - 16 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.

Message: The Spirit's Internal Witness or Heirs

Time: This book was probably written between 56 and 57 B.C. Paul was in Greece, probably Corinth when he wrote. It was sent to Gentile believers, but also believers with a strong Jewish element.

What the Lord is Saying:


Leading Up
In the last two verses I studied in Romans (14-15) the idea of connecting my position of being in Christ with now being in the family of God and being adopted was really introduced. I can call my father Abba or in our terms today, Daddy. Paul has made the statement that we are adopted.

Assurance of Adoption
And so now verse 16 confirms this by stating that "the Spirit himself testifies...we are children of God."

I am reminded when I learned how to share my faith through evangelism explosion in high school, we concluded the salvation message with a message of Assurance of Salvation. The truth has been spoken, received, and it was in important to confirm it. We often took people to I John 5:11-12 which says, "And the witness is this that God has given us eternal life and this life is in His Son, he who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son does not have life." It is important after hearing truth, receiving it, to then hear confirmation that it is real.

Here, in verse 16, Paul wants us to receive the assurance that we are in fact sons of the living God, adopted into God's presence. The Spirit of God confirms that we are children of God. Sometimes he does this in His word and other times, it is as this verse states, where His Spirit ministers or speaks to our spirit.

Heirs
As a child of God, being part of the family, I become an heir to God. In the early part of the Old Testament it comes clear that there is a special blessing upon the first born. There is something extra special about being a first born heir. But, here I learn that each person that receives Christ is an heir. We all receive an equal blessing from God. God is personal. He is our Savior and Lord. He is our friend and we are in the family of God. And Paul clarifies further that we are an heir. We are on equal footing with Christ. Words can't really express what this means. In fact, I don't really comprehend what this could mean for me. It will be something amazing and incredible.

We suffer
However, this means that I will suffer. Once again, as I learned in chapter 5 that I have peace with Christ, I also exult in tribulations. I can look at trials as being a necessary thing in my life. And here also I see suffering as something that I will experience. I know I will be glorified so I also know that I will suffer. It is not an option an something that might occur, but a reality. 

Promise: From Tabletalk, June 12, "The world is ours by legal right, and one day we will possess it in its fulness."

No comments:

Post a Comment