Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Romans 8:29-30 - The Golden Chain of Salvation

Romans 8:29-30 - 29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; 30 and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.

Message: The Golden Chain of Salvation

Time: This book was probably written between 56 and 57 B.C. Paul was in Greece, probably Corinth when he wrote. It was sent to Gentile believers, but also believers with a strong Jewish element.

What the Lord is Saying:

On the heels of verse 28, where God works all things together for good for those that love God and are called according to His purposes, Paul now explains further how verse 28 is possible for God. Verse 28 is a promise.


I believe these are two verses that have caused some of the most controversy among Christians than any other two verses in the Bible. There are verses of controversy among Christians and non-Christians alike. Different verses are applied differently, like "do not judge, lest you be judged" or even the book of Romans and its message of grace versus the message people infer from Jesus to practice the following of God's commands. But, those themes and those verses seem to be a controversy among people of different faiths, that often divide one entire belief system from another.

I guess I could say that a person's understanding of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit would be another controversial set of verses among Christians for some believe it to be a separate act of receiving the Holy Spirit or be indwelled by the Spirit.

I guess I myself have witnessed the controversy of verse 29 and 30 because I have seen it divide a church that I was involved in. Verse 29 and 30 seem to set up the 5 points of Calvinism that then begin a discussion between Calvinism and Arminianism. Calvinism which basically states God chooses and elects people for salvation, and people don't have a choice but to respond to Christ. None of those called will fall away. The Arminianism belief has similar parts to Calvinism but basically believes that since man has free will man has a choice in whether he is saved.

Personally, I tend to see a little combo of the two, however, my thought is I trust God's commands to evangelize, make disciples, pray, trust Him through life's circumstances. And I believe we are to follow these commands and let God take care of the results. I am to trust God and His word and be obedient to His commands, believing that everything I do for God is for His glory (I Cor 15:58). So, neither belief changes the way I act. God will take care of showing me the truth after I die but for right now I don't need to know and my knowledge won't change how I live.

It is interesting, though, because people generally have no problem believing verse 28, but struggle sometimes in the understanding of verses 29 and 30.

Breaking apart these verses
  1. God works all things together for good for those called according to His purposes
  2. He foreknew His people
  3. He predetermined that His people would be conformed to the image of His Son
  4. [He would be the firstborn among many brethren]
  5. Those that He predestined, He called
  6. Those that He called, He justified
  7. Those that He justified, He glorified
The common theme in these verses is God knew in advance His own people and knew that they would be called, justified, glorified, and conformed to His image. He had the knowledge that this would happen to His people. And he called them. 

Promise: He knows. I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment