Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Romans 8:14-15 - The Spirit of Adoption

Romans 8:14-15 - 14 For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. 15 For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!”

Message: The Spirit of Adoption

Time: This book was probably written between 56 and 57 B.C. Paul was in Greece, probably Corinth when he wrote. It was sent to Gentile believers, but also believers with a strong Jewish element.

What the Lord is Saying:

Reviewing
The book of Romans is a treatise on getting the gospel right. Romans 1 begins with Paul clearly putting forth that he is all about the gospel and he affirms the church in Rome for also being about the gospel. This is the tone and message that sets forth his communication. He begins with the problem of sin in 1:18 to 3:20 focusing on the Gentile and the Jew. And then the Gospel is ushered in 3:21 and the righteousness of Christ is communicated as well as the immediate results of being imputed with God's righteousness through chapter 5. And now we are at the tale end of sanctification (chapters 6-8) or how are we to live now that we are in Christ. Throughout this discussion of sanctification, Paul I believe wants to reiterate that God sees us differently now that we are justified. I am no longer in Adam, but in Christ and that is not because of me, but because of what Christ has done for me and all that I have done is believed and agreed with God's hand of providence in my life.

I believe from God's perspective, being justified immediately takes me to glorification. This is what the thief on the cross experienced (i.e. "Today you will be with me in paradise.). But, as I remain in this world, I grow in holiness. But, who I am in Christ never changes in that process of being sanctified.

That's hard to comprehend if we dwell on it, but I don't think I am to dwell on that. I am to accept God and His word for what it is and let the Spirit guide me.

Sons of God
Here is a promise in verse 14 that being led by the Spirit means I am a son of God. I remember that song we often sang in church as we assembled together for some function (another one of those great songs by Bill and Gloria Gaither):

I'm so glad I'm a part of the family of God
I've been washed in the fountain, cleansed by His blood!
Joint heirs with Jesus as we travel this sod;
For I'm part of the family, the family of God.

It is an amazing thought that in Christ we become a family member of God's. People everywhere often state, "the most important thing in life is family." I hear this often in my job. One of my co-workers brother died suddenly last year. Did he die a great death? No. Did he put himself in a bad situation? Probably. But, you know, for her it was her brother and it didn't matter. It was her brother; her family member. And he died. There is nothing more important than family. And God wants us to know that we are now in the family of God.

Not spirit of slavery, but adopted children
We are not just members of the family of God, we are God's children and we can call God, Abba Father. We begin life with one association and then we are adopted, and our association changes. We have a different belonging that never changes. I've watched several movies and the thrill a child experiences living in an orphan, becoming adopted, being told they are wanted is an incredible picture that we have in Christ. We are wanted and valued. He wants us in His family.

Promise: I'm a member of God's family.

No comments:

Post a Comment