Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Proverbs 3:5-6 - Straightening Our Paths

Proverbs 3:5-6 -
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.

Message: Trust the Lord not me

Time: It seems that Proverbs was written and then compiled sometime between the tenth and sixth centuries B.C. Proverbs was probably written during the reign of Solomon, 971-931 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying:

This is one of my most favorite passages in all of scripture. I memorized these verses upon trusting in Christ as Savior and Lord. I was probably 15 or 16 when I first memorized them. I quote these verses all the time and share them with people. That said, I think they are the most challenging verses in the Bible.  

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
To me, this phrase right here is the calling card of the Christian. When I trust in Christ as Savior, all the righteousness of Christ is imputed to me and I have everything I need. It seems from that point forward, my life is spent at times pushing that righteousness out and thinking I can manage without it. And the constant desire is to return to the state of trusting in the Lord with all my heart. 

Do not lean on your own understanding
These first 3 stanza's seem to be repeat the same idea, just stated in a different way. If I am trusting in the Lord with all my heart then I am not leaning on my own understanding. I wonder at what point of my reasoning it is my understanding versus trusting in the Lord. 

In all your ways acknowledge Him
To further clarify, to trust in the Lord is to acknowledge Him in all the aspects of my life. 

Promise: He will make my paths straight. 

4 comments:

  1. So simply stated, and so Powerful! Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. unknown unknown I am praying for you today and every day! Please let us know you are ok .

    ReplyDelete
  3. In all of your ways acknowledge Him, giving Him even that which we are holding back and holding onto, trusting Him to catch us as we let it all go and offer it all to Him! And then He makes straight all of our paths. How lovely! How glorious!

    ReplyDelete