Monday, September 28, 2015

Psalm 23: The Lord, Our Shepherd (Part 5)

Psalm 23 - The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Message: Goodness and Mercy always

Time:  The psalms were written by many different people across a period of a thousand years in Israel's history. They are thought to have been compiled and put together in their present form by some unknown editor shortly after the captivity ended about 537 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying:

The conclusion of this chapter is after knowing that I have no wants with the Lord as my Shepherd, and knowing that He provides for my needs and with Him I can rest, and knowing that even at the dark and gloomy times of my life He will be there and He will keep me safe and victories in front of my enemies, that I can be confident that goodness and mercy will follow me and I will dwell with the Lord forever.

This is a complete chapter. It really covers everything. God is with me, in this life, providing me what I need and in the end, I know that my permanent residence is with the Lord.

Surely Goodness and Mercy will follow me
In the previous verse, the phrase, "My cup overflows" is really kind of amazing. God will always be my shepherd and friend. And even more so, the fact that my cup overflows, tells me, that all my needs have been met. Stated another way, He will never leave me wanting.

I was sitting in church yesterday thinking about the fact that each Sunday I am left with this feeling of "do more" or "stop doing what you are doing" or "be better." The message that I am left with is I'm not good enough. That is true. I am not. But, that is not the message here in this chapter. The message is not that I need more, the message is, "I shall not want." The message is that I have everything, "My cup overflows." The message is that goodness and mercy will follow me. I am not sure I comprehend how it is I am to live in this way. But, I think God really wants me to remember this daily. That in Him, I shall not want. My cup overflows.

All the days of my life
This reminds me of Romans 8:28, "All things work together for good." Goodness follow me. Mercy, which is not receiving what I deserve, will follow me. And they will follow me all the days of my life. So, through all of life's situations, as life changes, all the days of my life are secure.

I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever
This is the really the hope of each person in Christ, that our dwelling place in with the Lord. I don't think it means forever, as in, for eternity. But rather it means dwelling all the days of my life.

Promise: I will dwell in the House of the Lord, all the days of my life.

1 comment:

  1. He restores my soul. Thank you Gracious Father, for having mercy on me, a sinner, and making me Your Precious Child.

    ReplyDelete