Thursday, September 3, 2015

Psalm 100 - Rejoicing Unto the Lord

Psalm 100
Shout joyfully to the Lord, all the earth. Serve the Lord with gladness; Come before Him with joyful singing. Know that the Lord Himself is God; It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise. Give thanks to Him, bless His name. For the Lord is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting and His faithfulness to all generations.


Message: Rejoicing Unto the Lord

Time:  The psalms were written by many different people across a period of a thousand years in Israel's history. They are thought to have been compiled and put together in their present form by some unknown editor shortly after the captivity ended about 537 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying:

The sermon (message) this past Sunday was about the heart and whether we have really experienced a change in our heart. That's the key. Change My Heart, O God. Lately, as I sit in service, I've been thinking about some of the songs. I've just been thinking about the words and how so many of them are simply, straightforward songs of thankfulness and praise to God. Not that this is bad, but I have just been thinking about those words. Maybe I've been wondering how much praise I really have in my heart. People hold their hands up. I look over at the pastor and they have this fervor in their being to really praise God. It's interesting. I just don't know if I have that same passion or fervor. I find myself enthralled often by the simple observation of people, looking at them, wanting to meet them, and understand their story or journey of faith.

So, now I come to this Psalm. Psalm 100. And the title of this lesson, "Rejoicing Unto the Lord." And I wonder, is this my heart speaking? Is this my heart really praising God? Do I have it in me?

Shout joyfully to the Lord, all the earth.
Shout, speak loudly, to the Lord, with joy.

Serve the Lord with gladness
It is about Him when I serve, not about me. I am serving Him.

Come before Him with joyful singing.
Here it is, my singing is to be joyful, not mournful, but joyful. I do savor the worship now at church. It is wonderful.

Know that the Lord Himself is God.
The Lord is God. God is God. Honor and respect Him. The Lord of Israel is not just Lord over a specific people, but over all people.

It is He who has made us, not ourselves.
He is my creator. 

We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.
He has chosen us to be His.  

Enter His gates with thanksgiving
Come to Him with thanksgiving. Come before Him with a thankful heart, not a needing heart. Come before Him with thanksgiving. 

And His courts with praise.
Enter his area with praise. Again, I come to Him to praise Him not with open requests. 

Give thanks to Him, bless His name.
My focus is thanking Him, blessing His name. 

For the Lord is good;
For the Lord is good. His ways are good. 

His lovingkindness is everlasting
His love never changes. It is always present. It is enduring. It is unconditional. 

And His faithfulness to all generations.
He is faithful to all people, in all times. He never changes. 

Promise: It is a great thing to serve the Lord with gladness.

1 comment: