Monday, September 21, 2015

Psalm 23: The Lord, Our Shepherd (part 2)

Psalm 23 - The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Message: My Shepherd, So I don't have a want

TimeThe psalms were written by many different people across a period of a thousand years in Israel's history. They are thought to have been compiled and put together in their present form by some unknown editor shortly after the captivity ended about 537 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying:

Again, I have not studied this passage before, but wanted to make a good attempt to go through it. I was just somewhat amazed by that first line that with God as my shepherd, I shall not want.

Next I see:

  • He makes me lie down in green pastures. 
  • He leads me beside still waters. 
  • He restores my soul. 
  • He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
God is the Active Agent
The first thing I notice from these verses is it God that is the active agent in orchestrating these events in a person's life. Again, I have just left or been introduced to the principle that the Lord is my Shepherd and I shall not want and so therefore, I can see that the Shepherd will be the one that makes things happen in my life. He is the cause or the reason in my life. He is the giver of life and He sustains life.

Green Pastures
This is a place he has me to lie down. If I am not wanting, what am I doing? I am trusting God to provide and therefore, he makes me lie down on the greenest grass, on the pastures. It is the idea of flocks lying down in pastures with their wants completely satisfied. "I shall not want." The wants of my person would be no more.

Am I ever in state where I do not want? Or do not want more? I know I am to be content. Philippians 4:11 says, "I have learned that whatever situation I am in, to be content." To be content is not natural to natural man. It is a state of mind that comes from someone in the grasps of God's love and Providence. This contentment is not the result of financial security or safety or any sort of material abundance. This is allowing God to be the Shepherd of my life and then seeing the contentment that this arises.

I believe this is true. I have noticed from the reading of God's word, the fellowship with other Christians, time in prayer or praise, that it does move you to a state of contentment. God also provides this in the relationships we have. Their is contentment with God when I am with other people.

Still Waters
This further describes the idea of not wanting. With the Lord as My Shepherd, I am not wanting, I am lying down on green pastures and I am beside still waters. These are waters of quietness. It is a well-watered oasis rather than gently flowing streams. Here there is peace.

Restores My Soul
I just realized that one of my favorite songs is called, "Restore My Soul." It is by the Choir. Well, how about that? "He causes my life to return" or "He quickens me" or causes me to live. He restores me. So, when I am tired or exhausted or troubled or anxious or just worn down, He fills me with a new joy. He brings me back to the land of the living. See, difficulties will arise. They are not optional. They will come into my life. I will get tired. I will get exhausted and troubled and anxious and worn down. But, he will restore my soul.

He leads me in the path of righteousness
He directs me to the right path. He directs me. This is very important. The proper way of life comes about because of God directing me to it. I do not find it on my own nor do I try to justify myself. But, rather, he directs me to where I need to be.

Why? For His Name's Sake; for his purposes; for his praise.

Promise: The Lord gives me rest, rescues me and leads me to greatness.

2 comments:

  1. Lord please lead my way because I am lost and I need you more then ever. I am trying but I go to sleep with problems and wake up to more god please help me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He restores my soul...such Love He has for us!

    ReplyDelete