Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Ecclesiastes 9:10 - Working While We Can

Ecclesiastes 9:10
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might; for there is no activity or planning or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol where you are going.

Message: Working While We Can

Time: Solomon's authorship is not stated. Solomon's reign as king of Israel lasted from around 970 B.C. to around 930 B.C. The Book of Ecclesiastes was likely written towards the end of his reign, approximately 935 B.C

What the Lord is Saying: The previous verse spoke of the need to enjoy life, specifically, with your wife. What follows here is the admonition to work and work with all of your might. The pronouncement upon life is clear -- enjoy time with your wife and those that are your family, but work, and do it with all of your might. But, I need to remember, this doesn't mean that work is to take over my life. Yes, I need to work hard, but in this day and age that I live in, 40 hours a week is what is expected of me and what I need to do is make sure that in those 40 hours I am working to the best of my ability. Thus, do not goof off in those hours; do not surf the internet or spend excessive time visiting, but my time at work is to be about working.

From Tabletalk, September 11, 2015
Remember, when we die our work ceases. We are no longer able to accomplish things for God's kingdom--at least in the same manner that we could before we died. 
Promise: I need to take advantage of today and "such a time as this." There will never be a time like now.




No comments:

Post a Comment