Thursday, January 5, 2017

Psalm 119:137-144 - Faithful Obedience

Psalm 119:137-144
137 Righteous are you, O Lord,
    and right are your rules.
138 You have appointed your testimonies in righteousness
    and in all faithfulness.
139 My zeal consumes me,
    because my foes forget your words.
140 Your promise is well tried,
    and your servant loves it.
141 I am small and despised,
    yet I do not forget your precepts.
142 Your righteousness is righteous forever,
    and your law is true.
143 Trouble and anguish have found me out,
    but your commandments are my delight.
144 Your testimonies are righteous forever;
    give me understanding that I may live.

Message: Faithful Obedience

Time: The psalms were written by many different people across a period of a thousand years in Israel's history. They are thought to have been compiled and put together in their present form by some unknown editor shortly after the captivity ended about 537 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying Righteous are you, O Lord, - in all the ways you are, you act correctly; you are above reproach; your ways dealings with man are correct and justified. Your ways are not like mine for you do life always correctly. and right are your rules. Your rules and commands are correct. They are always correct and true. You are Truth. The standard described in scripture are complete and true.

You have appointed your testimonies in righteousness and in all faithfulness - You have declared your people to do good works and to be about you. In saving your chosen ones, you intend for our lives to be marked by goodness, love, charity. Christ is in me, working through me, not because of any goodness that is found in me, a sinner, but because of your appointment of me living in righteousness and faithfulness. The reason I can be good is because of You.

My zeal consumes me, My ways consume me; I get distracted because my foes forget your words. the world lives in opposition to you. This nation has transgressed from being a Christian nation to a nation of relative living. 

But Your promise is well tried, your ways are well tested and your servant loves it. I love what is taught me through this testing in my life. 

I am small and despised, You are vast and respected, but on this earth, I am small and often despised; yet I do not forget your precepts. I stand by your words and power. 

Your righteousness is righteous forever, Your ways are not momentary, but long lasting. and your law is true. Your law is always true; it is not momentary, but eternal. 

Trouble and anguish have found me out, In my life, trouble and anxiety well up inside me all too often. They stake a place in me. But bring me back to you, to your words, your truth; but your commandments are my delight.

Your testimonies are righteous forever; Again, your ways are righteous forever, so give me understanding that I may live.

Promise: From Tabletalk - True persevering faith exhibits itself when we stand fast under trial. If we truly love the Word of God, then, like the author of Psalm 119, we will not abandon the Lord’s revelation when it is unpopular to keep His law.

No comments:

Post a Comment