Thursday, January 19, 2017

Psalm 101 - Godly Resolve

Psalm 101
1 I will sing of lovingkindness and justice,
To You, O Lord, I will sing praises.
I will give heed to the blameless way.
When will You come to me?
I will walk within my house in the integrity of my heart.
I will set no worthless thing before my eyes;
I hate the work of those who fall away;
It shall not fasten its grip on me.
A perverse heart shall depart from me;
I will know no evil.
Whoever secretly slanders his neighbor, him I will destroy;
No one who has a haughty look and an arrogant heart will I endure.

My eyes shall be upon the faithful of the land, that they may dwell with me;
He who walks in a blameless way is the one who will minister to me.
He who practices deceit shall not dwell within my house;
He who speaks falsehood shall not maintain his position before me.
Every morning I will destroy all the wicked of the land,
So as to cut off from the city of the Lord all those who do iniquity.

Message: Godly Resolve

Time: The psalms were written by many different people across a period of a thousand years in Israel's history. They are thought to have been compiled and put together in their present form by some unknown editor shortly after the captivity ended about 537 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying: From Joseph Benson -

I will praise thee, O Lord, as for all thy other excellences, so particularly for those two royal perfections of mercy or lovingkindness and justice, or judgment, which thou hast so eminently discovered in the government of the world, and of thy people Israel; and I will make it my care to imitate thee, as in other things, so especially in these virtues, which are so necessary for the discharge of my trust, and the good government of thy and my people.

I will give heed to the blameless wayI will manage my affairs with wisdom and integrity; which are the two chief qualifications requisite for all men, and peculiarly necessary in princes, whose example is wont to have great influence on the morals of their people, and who can with no dignity nor consistency punish the crimes of others, if they be guilty of the same crimes themselves. When will you come to Me? And be with me to assist me to execute this my purpose. I will walk within my houseI will conduct myself in my family and court, as well as in my public administration of the affairs of my kingdom, with the integrity of my heart Sincerely intending and desiring to please and glorify God, and to set before the members of my family, and all my subjects, an example worthy of their imitation.  

I will set no worthless thing before mine eyesIf any ungodly or unjust thing be suggested to me, whatsoever specious pretenses it may be covered with, as some reason of state or worldly advantage, I will cast it out of my mind and thoughts with abhorrence, so far will I be from putting it in execution. I hate the work of those that fall away — From God, and from his laws. It shall not fasten its grip on me I will neither imitate nor endure such works nor such workers.

A perverse heartor a man of a corrupt mind and wicked life; shall depart from meShall be turned out of my court, lest he should infect the rest of my family, or be injurious, or an occasion of offence to my people. I will not know no evil I will not own nor countenance such a one, but will keep all such at a distance.

Whoever secretly slanders his brotherSuch as by secret and false information's, and accusations of others, seek to gain my favor, and to advance themselves by the ruin of others; him will I destroyFrom my family and court. No one has a haughty look and an arrogant look — Those who think highly of themselves, and look down with contempt upon others, or treat them with insolence; or, whose insatiable covetousness and ambition make them study their own advancement more than the public good; will I endureIn my house nor among my servants.

My eyes shall be upon the faithfulI will endeavor to find out, and will favor and encourage, men of truth, justice, and integrity, men of religion and virtue, who will be faithful, first to God, and then to me and to my people; that they may dwell with me — or converse with me, in my house, and counsels, and public administrations. These he would use as his familiars and friends, employ them in the domestic services of his palace, and advance them to public offices and stations in his kingdom. He who walks in a blameless wayIn the way of God’s precepts, which are pure and perfect; is the one who will minister to meIn domestic and public employments.
 
He who practices deceitThat uses any frauds or subtle artifice to deceive, abuse, or wrong any of my people; shall not dwell within my house — Though he may insinuate himself into my family, yet, as soon as he is discovered, he shall be turned out of it. He who speaks falsehoodEither to defend and excuse the guilty, or to betray the innocent; shall not maintain his position before meI will certainly and immediately banish him from my presence.

Every morning I will early destroy all the wicked of the landThat is, all that are discovered and convicted; the law shall have its course against them; and incorrigible offenders shall suffer as it directs. So as to cut off from the city of the Lord all those who do iniquity “I will use my utmost diligence to reform the whole nation; but especially the place of my peculiar residence, which ought to be an example to the rest of my kingdom: taking care that all offenders be severely punished in the courts of justice; and, if there be no other remedy, cutting off those evil members, who have got an incurable habit of acting wickedly.”  

Promise: Remember what Christ has done and be empowered by thankfulness to stand firm against sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment