Thursday, January 12, 2017

Proverbs 6:16-17 - Three Things the Lord Hates

Proverbs 6:16-17
16 There are six things which the Lord hates,
Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him:
17 Haughty eyes, a lying tongue,
And hands that shed innocent blood,


Promise: Three Things the Lord Hates

Time: It seems that Proverbs was written and then compiled sometime between the tenth and sixth centuries B.C. Proverbs was probably written during the reign of Solomon, 971-931 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying: 

This is interesting. Obviously, Solomon seems to be speaking to a group of people, reminding them of what God hates. Chapter 6 has been summarizes as parental counsel. It is interesting, it starts with son being snared by the words of your mouth. Be on guard for what your mouth can lead you to do. We need to careful with our words. And then there is a warning to the sluggard and the speaker brings up the ant. How in some ways humiliating that he looks at the smallest creature whereby a baby's footprint could smash it and yet he looks to that creature as an example for hard work. The ant keeps working, no matter the obstacles, the ant is working. The ant is either working or sleeping. Get up. Stop just sleeping. Wake up and get busy. Then, he addresses one with a perverse mouth. This person is a wicked man, a worthless person. This chapter is shaping up to be a chapter about the mouth.

Then he emphasizes 6 things the Lord hates, but it's not just six, it's seven. This isn't a new section, just a new subject. He is continuing his counsel.

And today i look at the first three:

  • Haughty eyes - This is thinking more highly of myself than I ought. At the start of the day, I must understand who I am. I am a child of God. I am a child. He is God. He is my father. I am not to think more of myself than is necessary. This doesn't have anything to do with self-esteem which is believing in myself. I have no reason to not believe in myself because God loves me and I am his child. I have confidence in who I am, for sure, but here I am simply realizing that God is always in charge. I need to be careful that I don't put to much credence on my own work, thinking that I control outcomes. I surrender to God and he is in charge. This is the opposite of the fear of God. It is being humble. I can definitely say, "I can do this" but not "I'm good." Only God is good and I can do this because God is on my side. This pride is the beginning of all other sins. The only reason I disobey God's commands is because I think I can. I want it my way. And my eyes are the giveaway. In Ephesians 4:2, Paul begins with a list of virtues and he begins with "Humility" or the opposite of pride.  
  • Lying tongue - The speaker now mentions the tongue. After beginning with pride, the beginning of all other sins, he mentions once again the tongue. Earlier, at the beginning of this chapter was a warning about being snared by the words of our mouth. But, lying wasn't the focus there, but rather it was more being careful about our words and those words getting ourselves in trouble. And then there was a warning about having a perverse mouth. Once again, the mouth is ugly and can degrade people, belittle them. Those were warnings about the mouth. And now, he addresses a lying tongue. Jesus is the Truth. If I speak untruth then I am in opposition to God and I show no regard for God's character. Lying harms me and it can harm other people. I admit, I have struggling with lying most of my life. I really struggled with it as a kid, all growing and through college. I can remember specific ways that I lied. I felt it necessary to just tweak the truth. I wanted people to see me a little better so I changed words. Its horrible. I didn't trust that the person God had made was really good enough to present themselves before others. The reason I am a liar is because I practice lying.
  • Shedding of innocent blood - It is one thing to have pride and to think that your way is always the better way, but to then carry out the act and take away the life of another. The horrible thing I see about abortion is a person deciding which life is more important. A choice was made to have sex and now people are deciding the result needs to be removed. This verse speaks of innocent blood. It is not speaking of war, but is speaking of taking someone's life when they haven't done anything wrong. As I read the paper and hear of bombings and slayings and murders, repeatedly there are innocent lives being hurt. This 23 year old boy that went to a bible study and then opened fire on those there is someone thinking that he must decided who is worth keeping around. It's just not that far from abortion. We stare at this young man and give him the death penalty while the potential money is told, she had every right to make that choice. Are not both parties innocent?

Promise: Be careful about my thoughts, my mouth, and thinking I am in control.

My Prayer: Lord, help me to be guided by your truths. On my own, I am selfish and think I know what is best for me. Keep me centered on You, truly humble, and understanding that I am your child at all times. I can never get away from you nor do I want to. Guard me from haughty, prideful eyes, that think I know what is best. And forgive me for my lying tongue, for not trusting in the person you have made in me. And forgive us as a society for the taking of innocent lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment