Sunday, January 15, 2017

Proverbs 6:18-19 - Four More things God Detests

Proverbs 6:18-19
18 A heart that devises wicked plans,
Feet that run rapidly to evil,
19 A false witness who utters lies,
And one who spreads strife among brothers.
 
Message: Four More things God Detests

Time: It seems that Proverbs was written and then compiled sometime between the tenth and sixth centuries B.C. Proverbs was probably written during the reign of Solomon, 971-931 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying: 

So I continue with 4 more things that God detests. 
  • A heart that devises wicked plans - these are sins that we commit internally. Our holiness goes beyond what people see to what they do not see. Do I spend time plotting evil or unrest in people? Do I go over and over and over, in my mind, those events? I think I often have a tendency to not only do this but also inside to think about how not wicked I am in comparison to others. In so doing, I am committing wicked acts. Granted, there are wicked thoughts in me, but when I begin to rehearse them and repeat them, there is a problem. I don't have to do the act, thinking it is enough. 
  • Feet that run rapidly to evil - This is almost a continuation of the thoughts I might engage in, on wicked grounds. Here this is carrying those thoughts to action. One can fall into or slide into sin, but the language here is expressing something different. It is rather a swift attitude towards running to sin. Obviously one that acts on their evil thoughts will come under a bigger scrutiny because their actions will definitely affect others. 
  • A false witness utters lies - The second sin was a lying tongue, so this sin is different from that one. The second sin was personal and its effect was primarily on self, even though lying effects others. But this one is more specific to our witness or my relationship with my neighbor. This is a repeat of the 8th commandment, bearing false witness. If nothing else, I can conclude that God hates lying. In some ways this is the lying chapter and the writer is reminding his reader how much we need to guard our words. 
  • One who spreads strife among brothers - this is the 7th sin. This is the sin that the writer states is an abomination to the Lord. First, one has a personal lying tongue, then his lies affect others, and now he spreads strife among brothers. If there is one thing I know I did as a father to my children is encourage strife. Once someone disobeyed, I often shamed them into that feeling of worthlessness. That is unfortunately a shining example of this detestable act. It is striking discord or disturbing the community we have. In the original language these words means one who scrapes with his feet, draws them backwards and forwards on the ground in order thereby to give a sign to others.

Promise: Be careful of my speech, both inward and outward. It has an effect on many, most namely myself.

My Prayer: Lord, thank you for being the forgiver of my sin. Thank you for Jesus and the salvation I have. You have given me life and abundant life. You have rescued me. Thank you Jesus. Now, continue to correct the wrong in me and help my words to be few and certain and not lying and not hurting towards others. Thank you for this lesson.


No comments:

Post a Comment