Friday, January 6, 2017

Proverbs 27:17 - Sharpening One Another

Proverbs 27:17
Iron sharpens iron,
So one man sharpens another.


Message: Sharpening One Another

Time: It seems that Proverbs was written and then compiled sometime between the tenth and sixth centuries B.C. Proverbs was probably written during the reign of Solomon, 971-931 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying: I have been privileged for the last 10 years to meet with 3 other guys weekly for prayer, accountability, and at times bible study or book study. It came about from a men's conference I attended that many years ago, put on by my former youth pastor now turned senior pastor. He was the pastor for 2 of the guys that would originally be a part of the group that we formed. A 3rd guy would get involved with us about 4 years later.

In my experience of my faith, it has been THE catalyst for my continued spiritual growth and development. These are guys that I can talk real with each and every week. If there is a sin I am struggling with, they help encourage me and keep me accountable and with 3 guys someone generally is struggling with that sin as well.

As my kids age and as we are fathers and husbands, those relationships need constant encouragement. We are supposed to be the spiritual leaders of our family and that needs encouragement. Honestly, without these guys and this time to simply talk about life and what is going on, I just don't know how I survive. Granted, I still sin. I still struggle but I always know that these guys have my back.

I have been fortunate enough to help start another men's group and that group just disbanded after being together for 5+ years. I think every man needs this. We are not 4 guys that are unique, but it is just common sense that we need each other. Yes, it is good to have friends you can talk with regularly and pray with regularly, but it is another thing to schedule that time week after week. It is just a normal routine part of our lives.

At times we study books to help encourage us further, but generally it is just talking about life and then challenging each other in the relationships that God has given us. I need these guys, every day, I need them more. As Hebrews 10:24-25 says, "and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near." I've always taken this verse to mean that we need this encouraging every day a little bit more. As the day of Jesus' coming nears, we need each other more. 

It is true as the verse in Proverbs states, iron does sharpen iron. This is not a quick process. Tabletalk states here: 
Giving a tool the desired sharpness took time in the ancient world, as there were no electric whetstones or other sharpening devices. Persistent, careful striking of the tool against the sharpener was required, and the process lasted longer than a matter of seconds. Thus, the proverb is underscoring the importance of persistence in friendship. One man does not sharpen another with just one speech or dialogue, though words spoken in the right season can go quite far in helping improve another person. Instead, people sharpen one another over time, through years of friendship and all of the ins and outs that come with enduring relationships. A truly constructive friend is faithful over time to offer his criticism and instruction, and he does not give up the first time his friend does not heed his advice.
Promise: We all need others in our lives to sharpen us and encourage us.


No comments:

Post a Comment