Wednesday, April 3, 2024

John 14:11-14 - The Works We Will Do

John 14:11-14
11 Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me; otherwise believe because of the works themselves. 12 Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father. 13 Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)."  

What the Lord is Saying: The words of Jesus continue in this passage. Jesus has been speaking to the disciples - namely taking questions from Peter, Thomas and Philip and continuing to give them a full picture or a full understanding of who He is. They know Him as Savior and Messiah and their Lord, but they continue to understand Him or are growing to understand Him as not only sent by God but containing the same essence of God. John, our writer in this passage gets this and understands this. And how great it is that I am understanding this as well. 

Jesus confirms in verse 11 the truth, "Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me." They are not the same person; distinct but they have the same attributes and essence. So, seeing Jesus is seeing the Father. All that the Father is can be had in Jesus. And Jesus must return to the Father as well. 

This idea of believing in Jesus has been a big idea for Jesus and one that He continually conveys. I remember in John 10:25-27 Jesus spoke of the Sheep that believe in Him and hear His voice. But Jesus also conveys to not only to believe in what He is saying, but believe also in what He has done: "otherwise believe because of the works themselves." Jesus has shown clearly in His gospels His work and what He has done. And yet the idea seems to have been clear in the gospels that seeing His miracles, while helpful, gave the people and disciples confirmation. It was His words and believng in Him and what He was saying that was perhaps most important. 

Now, the rest of this passage will speak of a further idea - from believing to working; from believing to doing. This seems to be the central idea of verse 12. But then in verse 13 and 14 it appears to go back to the work that Jesus will do when we ask - "believing." 

Verse 13 and 14 I think have always been somewhat puzzling verses to people. They represent verses that basically give a blank check it appears to God's provision. "Whatever you ask....I will do...ask me anything...I will do it." This is an interesting passage because it speaks of works we will do and works Jesus will do. Maybe what is clear is that works will be needed. But still this is a hard passage because people are people of need, people of want. And people of faith are dependent on God to provide. They recognize that things come from God. They find comfort in these words to ask whatever and yet people of need have asked God and have not received. And this remains a hard part of faith and not getting always what we ask. 

These words from Chapter 14 start off with the heading in my Open Bible as "Christ Comforts His Disciples." Amazing how much we need comfort. I was going through some books the other day, trying to figure out what I could get rid of and clear space in the garage I guess for other things. I saw a book that my mom had given Pamela and I at one time and written inside of it was words about my mom going through a difficult time and finding comfort with the words of that book and so passing it along to us. 

The disciples at this time are a little nervous. They want Jesus to stay close. They don't want to see him leave. They want to follow Him if He is leaving. They want to stay with Him. Jesus knows this can't happen immediately. Later, but not now. So Jesus speaks to them, offering them words of encouragement and comfort. Jesus wants His words to bring them comfort. There is comfort in knowing that while the disciples can't go with Jesus, Jesus is preparing a place for them. There is comfort in believing in Jesus that He is the only way to God. There is comfort in believing in Jesus that good works will follow. Maybe this won't always happen to us. But still there is comfort in these words, in the possibility and so we believe in Him, in Faith, we trust in Him. We have hope and it seems to be more and more that this is what we need in life, hope. And when we reach a place of no more hope, we move or change places. I had a worker yesterday leave to take a different job. His remark to me was there was no more hope in staying. 

I think of Mr. Talbot and seeing him on Sunday and visiting with him and in that time maybe he gets comfort and I can share with him and know him through that time. 

Summary: Jesus tells his disciples once again the importance of believing in Him and through His words He brings them comfort, letting them know he will work as they ask Him.  

Promise: Jesus continues to work in and through us. 

Prayer: O God, these words that I read, they are hard to digest at times. Maybe because I want the words to mean something that frees me from all trouble. I am normal. I want to be free from all bad and only for there to be good. But in You I find comfort and peace. Comfort from this hard world. And hope for tomorrow. I need those things. Lord, continue to help me show others this. 



Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment