Friday, April 19, 2024

John 15:14-17 - Friends of the Savior

John 15:14-17
14 You are my friends, if you do what I command you. 15 No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose Me, but I chose you, and appointed you, that you should go and bear fruit, and [that] your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask of the Father in My name, He may give it to you. 17 This I command you, that you love one another. 


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)."  

What the Lord is Saying: Jesus continues this long discourse with his disciples. I am taking these words slow, breaking them apart, and yet this is a discourse that is not lasting long in time, though Jesus is speaking a lot. A lot of what I have read and see in these words are words of comfort and encouragement that Jesus is sharing with His disciples. But there are also words of responsibilities we have as believers and followers. 

I use the devotional Tabletalk, a ministry of Ligonier, to guide me through these lessons. It is interesting because I have seen recently in the lessons that speak of commands and appear to give these conditional statements like today in verse 14, "If you do what I command you" and verse 7, "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you" and verse 4-6, "Abide in Me, and I in you" to bear fruit or Jesus will cast us out -- as those conditional statements are made, Tabletalk makes a point to say - now don't think these statements are conditional. I don't necessarily disagree with this, though I find it interesting that these statements must be made because it tells me there is potential for misunderstanding. 

And yet on a high level, Jesus is communicating a responsibility that believers have living in Christ. There is a responsibility they have with themselves towards Christ, with how they relate to others, and even the world at large which I will get to later. 

In this passage, Jesus says we are His friends, but says we are to do what He commands as He has previously mentioned the importance of keeping His commandments (v.10) and that the commandment is to love one another (v.12).  We are friends, not slaves any longer. And Jesus speaks of the special-ness or the intimacy that we now have with Him as His friends knowing what He is doing. Jesus receives from the Father and has shared with us. We are close to Him. 

Then in verse 16 and 17 is another summary that Jesus gives and these words do make us think those previous words that appear to be conditional are not. He says, "I chose you." We did not choose Him. This is correct. He called the disciples, the followers of Him and they responded, but Jesus did the choosing. And with that choosing is a task to go and bear fruit. I've been remembering the words of God in Genesis 1:28 when God says to Adam and Eve, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth." God created and God called. He says He chose us to bear fruit. That we are to ask of Him so that He will provide. He wants to provide. Again He says, "Love one another." Here it is again - (1) Believe, (2) Ask, (3) Obey, (4) The Helper helps and maybe I could add to love one another but I think that is part of obedience. 

Summary: We are Jesus' friend, no longer slaves. He chose us to bear fruit, and we can ask Him in His name and He will give it. We are to love one another. 

Promise: Though we are friends with Jesus, we still receive commands from Him that we are to obey. 

Prayer: Lord, you have called me your friend, choosing me, being transparent with me by telling me what You have done and done for me and will do. Thank you God for your honesty toward me and helping me throughout my days and my life. You keep me close to You always. Give me that strength to love one another and encourage them always to live for You. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's.

No comments:

Post a Comment