Wednesday, April 17, 2024

John 15:9-11 - Abiding in the Love of Christ

John 15:9-11
9 Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love. 10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments, and abide in His love. 11 These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may be in you, and [that] your joy may be made full. 


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)."  

What the Lord is Saying: Verse 9 is a command by Jesus to "abide in My love." This reminds of the traditional wedding vows people will take - "I [Name] take you [Name] to be my wife/husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part, according to God’s holy law. In the presence of God I make this vow." A no-matter-what promise is made. 

Jesus shows a relationship between 'keeping commandments' and 'abiding in His love. 'If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love' --  This is a natural part of the Christian's life, to follow in the commands, whatever they may be. In abiding, there is fruit (v.4), there is asking Him to do anything and He will do it (v. 7).  He continues to clarify that abiding in Him results in keeping commandments. It is all linked together. 

Yesterday, I focused on the Father being glorified. As I have seen in John He continues to mirror Christ with God the Father showing that all that Jesus has done is because of the Father. They are united in their mission, but the mission also seems to come from the Father. Here Jesus shows how he has kept His father's commandments and in turn will abide in His Father's love -- just as I have kept My Father's commandments, and abide in His love. Charles John Ellicott (1819–1905) stated, "Because the Son loved the Father, therefore He kept His commandments, and in this love He abode in the Father’s love. Because we love God we necessarily keep His commandments, and in this love is the receptive power which constitutes abiding in the divine love." We love, we keep commands, we abide. Love produces a desire to keep commandments and this is turn shows us abiding in Him. And this was no different for Jesus toward the Father. 

Jesus concludes these verses - I think possibly all going back to verse 1 of chapter 15 or maybe even verse 23 of chapter 14 - confirming that the words He has spoken and given are for our comfort - more specifically that His Joy, Jesus' joy, may be in us -- and that this joy will be full - "These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may be in you, and your joy may be made full." I think Jesus is continuing to give His disciples comfort upon telling them that He is leaving to be glorified (13:31). 

Summary: We love Jesus, we keep His commandments and we abide in His love, just like he showed in His relationship with God the Father. 

Promise: Abide in Love and our joy will be made full. 

Prayer: O God, you are great in mercy and You bestow on me the ability to love. And I do love your and what you have done for me in saving me. I live now my life to glorify You, living by being obedient to Your commands and thank you for abiding in me as I abide in You. Keep me anchored in You in this way always. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment