Monday, April 1, 2024

John 14:4-6 - The Only Way to the Father

John 14:4-6 
4 And you know the way where I am going.” 5 Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, how do we know the way?” 6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)."  

What the Lord is Going: Always interesting to see the context of those verses that we hold on so much to in our lives. Jesus is preparing to be glorified and will be going somewhere the disciples will not be able to go - maybe dying and then returning again when He is resurrected. But the point of this verse is the disciples are struggling with Jesus' words. He is instructing them and asking them to trust Him. Peter wondered in 13:36 where Jesus was going. And now Thomas as well in verse 5 wants assurance of the way. Jesus expands on this idea, moving us to the understand that He is the Way - He is the Truth - He is the Life -- The Way to the Father is through Him. 

This entire book has been Jesus asking people to believe in Him. To trust that He has been sent by the Father. Everywhere this message is key to this gospel. And the plot thickens and now Jesus says that the only way to get to the Father is through Him. Radical statement. And in some ways this text is a turning point to the rest of this gospel. This idea has already been central to this book when Jesus stated:

  • John 4:14 - Whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life. 
  • John 5:24 - Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.
  • John 6:35 - Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst."
  • John 6:40 - For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.”
  • John 6:51 - I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh.”
  • John 7:37-38 - If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, ‘From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.’
  • John 8:12 - Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, “I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.”
  • John 8:58 - Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.
  • John 10:9 - I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. 
  • John 11:25-26 - Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?”
So now to say, "I am the way, the truth, the life, no one comes to the Father, bur through Me" is simply a culmination of all that He has said so far. 

Summary: Like Peter, Thomas does not know where Jesus is going when He says is going away, but Jesus confirms He is the only way to the Father. 

Promise: Let us resolve never to deny that Christ is the only way to the Father, and let us pray for strength to confess this truth no matter the pressure to say salvation is available through other means as well.

Prayer: O Lord, Your message is clear and consistent and yet it is hard when people don't understand You. And yet You have said some will not. It is hard for those to keep their blinders on. Help me to be good about giving a response even when I struggle to do this. It helps me and helps my faith. Help me to continue to speak Your truth. Thank You for being clear in Your word. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment