Saturday, April 20, 2024

John 15:18-21 - The World's Hatred

John 15:18-21 
18 If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20 Remember the word that I said to you, "A slave is not greater than his master." If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you; if they kept My word, they will keep yours also. 21 But all these things they will do to you for My name's sake. Because they do not know the One who sent Me. 


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)."  

What the Lord is Saying: I continue to press on with these lessons. On the side, I'm talking to people online and sometimes get discouraged because people don't understand the Gospel. And now I read this verse with Jesus talking about the world hating us Christians at times with Jesus reminding us it has hated Him more. In my Bible this section from verse 18-25 is about the 'Relationship of Believers to the World.' 

At first glance these words seem like a surprise. Jesus I think still is comforting His disciples after announcing his glorification or return to the Father and reminds them He is with and the Holy Spirit will help. But he also then starts to speak of abiding in Him and that love He has for us and we are to have for him and faithful obedience to His commands follows this. But now this abrupt turn to those that hate us. We have been talking about loving one another. 

There definitely seems to be a difference in how Christians think and how the world thinks. I see this in conversations and must admit it is challenging to help people understand truth. The struggle I have most of the time is when someone says they believe in God or even says that they pray. So there is something there as far as acknowledging but then getting them to the place of them surrendering to God seems hard or hard for them to figure out. Even as I present the gospel it is like something is not registering. 

But when looking at those that are opposed like another man I'm talking to then the words are much stronger and clear in people's disdain. Jesus is clearing speaking of a difference - believers and those of the World. That is another tough concept to the non-Christian who I think somewhat believe at the end of the day everyone will end up in the same place. And it is interesting that the Bible so clearly talks about two different type of people - followers/believers/disciples and then the World. The fact that there is opposition to the church and the gospel is clear and evident. There is no intention for all to be accepted by God and we see this portrayed as well. 

Also, the word "if" is used often, not previously but here. "If the world hates you" or "If you were of the world" or "If they persecuted me" or "If they kept My word." The "if" is not a definite situation but a possibility. Suppose this happens. And maybe the "if" refers to the fact that not all will experience this because not all will know Jesus the way He intended. 

Verse 19, 20, 21 continues the same information stated a little differently regarding disciples not being greater than their teacher, the Messiah. We are not of the world, but if we subscribe to the world and its ways, they will love us. But we are not of the world or we are not to be of the world.  Verse 20 mentions that a slave or servant is not greater than its master simple means that the disciple can expect the same treatment that Jesus receives. And all things will be done to the disciples for the sake of Jesus. 

Summary: Like Jesus, the disciples will be persecuted and hated by the world, but this hate is first directed at Jesus. 

Promise: The world cannot help but hate us, because those who are in rebellion against God hate everything that is not also in rebellion against Him. 

Prayer: God, you bore the punishment for me and have saved me from eternal separation from you. You are all I need in my life ultimately. Keep reminding me of this. I thank you for the community of the church that provides me encouragement amidst the tough times in our world. Help me to have the negative words towards me bounce off and yet I do know they are rejecting You first, but this still remains hard to accept. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's.

No comments:

Post a Comment