Monday, April 15, 2024

John 15:7 - How We Bear Fruit

John 15:7
If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it shall be done for you. 


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)."  

What the Lord is Saying: As I look in my Bible, verses 1-11 in my Open Bible outline this section as "The Relationship of Believers to Christ." Verse 4 seems to be a key verse -- "Abide in Me, and I in you." Jesus states He is the true vine. Looking at other verses like Hosea 10:1 gave the idea that Israel is a vine. But maybe not this vine context? Not sure. But, it does seem like Jesus is fulfilling something now in the vine that Israel did not - being salvation to all. 

But moving from that is the "branches" that come forth from the vine and the need for them to bear fruit. In Chapter 14 I saw Jesus leaving and the disciples concerned over this, but Jesus giving them the promise that he would always be with his people and would send His Spirit to help. The key idea was believing in Jesus. Words of abiding did show up. Jesus speaks because of the Father abiding in Him (v. 10). In Jesus works result (v. 11) and by believing the Christian also does works (v. 12). We pray (v. 13) and we are obedient to God's commands (v. 15) and the Helper is with you and Jesus says is abiding with us (v. 17). Jesus abides with us (v. 25). 

Interesting verses as they speak of the special and abiding relationship the Father has with Jesus and Jesus has with us: his followers that believe in Him. 

Much of the Gospel John I believe has centered on gaining eternal life. But Jesus is now mentioning fruit as well and receiving what we ask. Jesus seems to be repeating ideas using slightly different language. By abiding with Jesus our prayers for God to work in fruitful ways naturally results. The Father was abiding with Jesus and good works resulted so it seems reasonable to see the same thing in our lives. It seems these are simply overarching commands with significant results. 

I am not yet describing those results though. At the moment, I am staring at the theory of it all. And the promise. 

Summary: As the Father was abiding in Jesus and Jesus did good works, the same thing occurs for us as we abide in Jesus and He in us and good works will done as we ask for them to be done. 

Promise: We pray according to His will. 

Prayer: Lord God, you want to do great things through me and I am saying thank you. Keep me close to You, trusting in You throughout my days, abiding with you, obeying You. Teach me all that this means, not only with the words I say, but the words I think. Be at the center of my life. Help me to have joy and be happy. I want to be more like You, doing things the right way. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment