Tuesday, April 16, 2024

John 15:8 - Proving Our Discipleship for God's Glory

John 15:8
By this is My Father glorified, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples. 

MessageProving Our Discipleship for God's Glory

Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)."  

What the Lord is Saying: What is the purpose of all things? That the Father be glorified. I think this is hard for us to reconcile and accept at times. I was speaking to someone recently that said God couldn't be a part of our lives today because we are suffering so much. The focus from this person is on us, and how we are doing, not on the Father and Him being glorified. But that seems to be what is most important for most of us humans - taking care of ourselves. It is normal I suppose, but Jesus reminds us in this statement today that "By this is My Father glorified." All that he has been speaking about with Him being the vine, the Father pruning, abiding in Jesus, Jesus in us, the Father in us, to bear fruit, to be obedient, to receive what we ask, to have the Holy Spirit help - it is really all for the Father to be glorified. What is most important to Him. That is the key. And I don't think we understand this because we naturally think it is all about us and we are trained in this sort of thinking everyday. 

In addition to God being glorified, He is glorified when we bear much fruit. God does desire outcomes and fruit. He does want to be known everywhere. He gets glory as I bear fruit. All the good that I can do - in being obedient, in asking Him by praying, in believing - it is all fruit and all for His glory -- "that you bear much fruit." 

And in this process of our lives bearing fruit and the Father being glorified, we show that we are Jesus' disciples. I mean, God sent Jesus to this earth to provide salvation for all, to be the true vine (v. 1). Why? For His glory, for people to know Jesus as being sent, to have eternal life in Him - and so we are therefore His disciples. We are His followers doing His business. 

The reality is I am trained in this world to be all about Me. God wants to train me that it is all about Him. And that in all I do, He also wants me to know that He is wanting to work through me. This is why He sends His Spirit - to help me and work in me. I have what I need always in Him. How I need to figure this out more. 

Summary: Our purpose on earth is to be called Jesus' disciples, bearing fruit, and all for one purpose - the Glory of God. 

Promise: We do not do good works merely to do good works, our good works have as their end goal the glory of our Creator.  

Prayer: Thank you for helping me see yesterday that through the walk of my life, I am to turn to You. I am to seek You and seek Your help in my life. Even in my walk sometimes Lord, I think I do it by my own strength, but You are in me, giving me strength. Help me to help others see that it is about You. That all in life is for Your Glory. Yes, you have saved me and provided for me, but take the focus off of me. Place it on you. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment