Thursday, April 4, 2024

John 14:15 - Showing Our Love for Christ

John 14:15
If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)."  

What the Lord is Saying: This verse isn't speaking of salvation. Jesus is simply pointing out the response of the Christian it would seem or the disciple of His in what it means to be a Christian. The previous verse said, "If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it." It is almost if Christ is pointing out some summary ideas. Ask me and I will do it. Love Me and do what I have told you to do. 

For me, I want to focus on the asking and Christ doing rather than the loving and obedience. Right? I want it to be about me and what I am receiving rather than on loving Him and doing what He says. 

Summary: Christ gives us a simple admonition to show our love for Him by being obedient to His commandments. 

Promise: From Tabletalk -- Keeping Christ's commandments reveals that we have been united to Him for salvation and possess the genuine love that is the consequence of genuine faith. 

Prayer: Lord, thank you for these simple words and the simple reminder of my obedience toward you and following You always and being obedient to your commands. 



Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment