Thursday, April 18, 2024

John 15:12-13 - Christian Love Defined

John 15:12-13
12 This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. 


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)."  

What the Lord is Saying: I think the word 'commandment' is an interesting one. It showed up I believe for the first time in John 12:49-50, "the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me commandment, what to say, what to speak, and I know that His commandment is eternal life." Commandment is singular but refers to the Father speaking to Jesus. Then in 13:34 once Jesus mentions He will be going to a new place (glorified from verse 32) is "A new commandment I give you to you, that you love one another." In many ways up to this point John has really emphasized eternal life in his gospel. But here shifts to our relationship with others. 

Then in 14:21 commandments is plural and so more encompassing, "He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me." Commandments is more comprehensive now and is speaking to all the different ways we show love for God and others. 15:10, "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love." Commandment keeping moves from loving to abiding. 

And now in verse 12, the singular commandment is mentioned again, repeating the same idea from John 13:34 and only in verse 13 now is the elevation of this love when Jesus says it is more than loving, but to "lay down his life for his friends." 

I think only Jesus has laid down his life for all of his friends, but people still have done this. I think of a secret service agent taking a bullet for the president or not even a secret service agent, but perhaps someone else doing this, like a husband for his wife. When we see this in a movie, it is an incredible act of sacrifice. This was Jesus' purpose in going to the cross - to lay down his life so that other could live. The gospels showed the principle, but the cross made it permanent for all. I just don't think any other faith systems makes this prominent in their doctrines - the need to love others. 

But laying down my life can simply be done in laying down what is important to me in order to serve others. Like visiting people that need a word of encouragement, discipling someone, serving my dad or family member or wife or children. Many times coming home from work I didn't do this and was caught up in myself with my kids, not playing ball, not talking to them, not sitting alongside them to get to know their world - I regret those times because they are gone, but I can keep trying today and even today it requires sacrifice. 

Summary: Christ-like love is passed on from Him to us to us to others and as He would lay down His life for all of us, I can practice the same sort of sacrifice though in different ways toward others. 

Promise: Whatever our station in life, we should look for ways to spend our lives for the sake of others. 

Prayer: Lord, thank you for challenging us in this way to love others. I thank you for the emphasis this has been in my life. I love others and yet I struggle with this at times in not seeing something in others I want to see - often selfless work or sacrifice for me. Help me to love others in a real way and not look for something in return. You paid the ultimate sacrifice for me in dying for me on the cross, shedding your blood for me. Help me to be more giving toward others. I thank you for John and what he emphasizes to us and the joy of reading and studying Your word. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's.

No comments:

Post a Comment