Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Proverbs 27:1 - Boasting about the Future

Proverbs 27:1
Do not boast about tomorrow,
For you do not know what a day may bring forth.


Message: Boasting about the Future

Time: It seems that Proverbs was written and then compiled sometime between the tenth and sixth centuries B.C. Proverbs was probably written during the reign of Solomon, 971-931 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying:

In Romans 2:17, it says we are to boast in God. Romans 4:2 presents the idea that boasting is only something we do before other men, but that's only if our works would merit God's acceptance and we know this is not so. Romans 5:3 says we exult or boast in our tribulations. God's grace is a gift from God, so that no one can boast (Ephesians 2:8-9). I go back and look at these verses as a reminder that the boasting I can do is towards God. As this verse in Proverbs says, I am not to boast about tomorrow. Lord, help me guard myself against this. Matthew 6:34 says, "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Focus on today. The Lord's prayer is clear that we pray, "Give us this day our daily bread."

Life is uncertain. What I do know is now, for sure. I know this one moment. There was a song from the 80s that simply said, "One day at a time." Lord, help me to focus on this. I can make plans for the future, but I do this with an eye of uncertainty because I do not know what tomorrow may present itself. Lord, I am weak with this. Often, I stop giving and tithing because I am worried about tomorrow. Help me to make good decisions today.

Here is a poem by Robert Smith, a Lutheran theologian (1932-2006):

“The clock of life is wound but once,
And no man has the power
To tell just when the hands will stop
At late or early hour. 
To lose one's wealth is sad indeed,
To lose one's health is more,
To lose one's soul is such a loss
That no man can restore. 
The present only is our own,
So live, love, toil with a will,
Place no faith in "Tomorrow,"
For the Clock may then be still.”
Isaiah 46:10 - God is the one declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’

Promise: From Tabletalk - It is good and right to plan for the days ahead, but if our plans succeed, it is not because of our wisdom or because we were certain that they would. Our plans succeed only if that success is ordained by our heavenly Father.


1 comment: