Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Psalm 119:17-24 - A Longing for God's Word

Psalm 119:17-24
17 Deal bountifully with Your servant, that I may live and keep Your word.
18 Open my eyes, that I may behold wonderful things from Your law.
19 I am a stranger in the earth; Do not hide Your commandments from me.
20 My soul is crushed with longing after Your ordinances at all times.
21 You rebuke the arrogant, the cursed, who wander from Your commandments.
22 Take away reproach and contempt from me, for I observe Your testimonies.
23 Even though princes sit and talk against me, your servant meditates on Your statutes.
24 Your testimonies also are my delight; They are my counselors.

Message: I longing for God's Word

Time: The psalms were written by many different people across a period of a thousand years in Israel's history. They are thought to have been compiled and put together in their present form by some unknown editor shortly after the captivity ended about 537 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying:

I am gaining a new appreciate for Psalms. It is really a great set of verses, to help me offer prayers to the Lord. I really appreciate and it provides a fantastic guide.

Deal bountifully with Your servant, that I may live and keep Your word. (v.17) 
This is a verse which says, "give me what I deserve." If I do good, I just receive a reward; if I do bad, then a penalty; but this doesn't mean that I have a claim on this. But, it does mean that I am calling out to God, begging for his favor, his friendship, on my behalf. "That I may live" refers to the idea that life's continuance is dependent on God. "Keep your word" recognizes that life is fulfilled by keeping God's word.

Lord, I desire your favor. I desire your friendship. Grant me your favor as I life my life in a way that seeks to honor you.

Open my eyes, that I may behold wonderful things from Your law. (v. 18)
"Open my eyes" - Lord, there are many things in life that impede my vision of truth. I get selfish and think I deserve things; I have desires that corrupt me; take away from eyes what is before them to prevent clear vision. Your Law is wonderful and results in wonderful things in my life; this is what I desire. 

Generally, my prayers are not spoken in this way. My requests are not asking for my obedience.

I am a stranger in the earth; Do not hide Your commandments from me. (v. 19)
"I am a stranger in the earth." - This is not my home; my belonging is in another place. Because of this, I need God's intervention on my life. "Do not hide your commandments from me." - Make me to know your commandments and keep them continually before me. I am away from home, outside, and I need help. I need your constant presence and intervention in my life to make it here. 

My soul is crushed with longing after Your ordinances at all times.(v. 20)
I think of the things in my life that I long for: success in my job; the resources to provide for my children and wife; a healthy life; favor on my friends and family; but, do I long for obedience to God's commands? This is what this verse is stating and appealing to God for. The desire to know more of the commands of God is continually on me, exhausting my strength, and overcomes me. Shift my priorities, away from things to obedience to your ordinances. I want to be fully acquainted with all that is in your law. 

You rebuke the arrogant, the cursed, who wander from Your commandments. (v. 21)
Obedience to God's laws brings favor upon me. But, there is Your displeasure towards people that disobey Your commandments. Disobedience is not gratifying but instead it has dire results. It is a curse to wander away from God's commandments. I too often stare at the momentary pleasure and do not see the lasting results from wandering from God's commands. I do not want to be found among the number that despise the commandments of God. 

Take away reproach and contempt from me, for I observe Your testimonies. (v. 22)
God, show me your favor. Do not let me suffer in the estimation of mankind on account of my faith. Do not let me be exposed to malicious charges; accusations of hypocrisy, insincerity, and unfaithfulness. Lord, it is my desire to be faithful and to be well pleased in your sight.  

Even though princes sit and talk against me, your servant meditates on Your statutes. (v.23)
It is understood that man and his ways will not favor me, but this does not matter to me. Help me God to meditate on your statutes. Do not be surprised when people speak against me and my faith.   

Your testimonies also are my delight; They are my counselors. (V.24)
My main happiness is in the word of God. As I engage in difficulties or trying times or uncertain times, I lean on my experiences before God and what He has taught me. This is why I so enjoy to listen to people's testimonies. It inspires me and lets me know that God is indeed at work in so many lives and He holds many people together.

Promise: Keep myself in the Word. It is the only way to find wisdom and guidance. God, increase and sustain in me a love for Your Word.


2 comments: