Sunday, September 7, 2014

Romans 6:14 - Living under Grace

Romans 6:14 - For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

Message: Sin will not be my master

Time: Paul wrote Romans from Corinth as he prepared to leave for Palestine. Phoebe (16:1,2) was given the great responsibility of delivering the letter to the Romans believers. At this time, Rome had a population of 1 million, many of whom were slaves. The Romans church was doctrinally sound, but it still needed rich doctrine and practical application. Rome had massive buildings but also slums.

What the Lord is Saying: 

The Open Bible section heading for verses 1 through 14 continue to be so fitting: Believer's Death to Sin in Principle. It is so clear what these verses are expressing. Sin no longer has dominion over me or master over me. The way Paul repeats this message and these words over and over should bring to mind the importance of these truths. This chapter started with the question of should we sin so that grace will increase and throughout the passage I have been told, "no." And the reason why is that sin is really dead in my life. So, why would I return to something that is dead.

Last night, for a brief moment, I went down sin's path. I ventured away from the gift that He gave me in my wife and more importantly the promise that a man's thoughts are only to be for his wife and in a breif moment I searched for something on the web that conflicted this promise. Why? I have been reading this past week on death to sin in principle. I am dead to it. But, I have also trained myself over the years in times of distress (and last night I was in great pain in my back) and in times of fatigue (I was really tired from waking up early and going an early morning bike ride, even though it was great) and I was a little angry (due to Pamela forgetting about Derek's hurt to her ribs and letting him go skate with Mikey).
 
 It stinks. I've trained myself over the years in this behavior. I go here even though I realize in theory it is totally wrong and totally contrary to who I am in Christ. It makes no sense based upon all the blessings I have been given and the promises I have. But, I venture away. It's hauntingly destructive and upsetting. I know I can't be perfect but I'm bothered when change doesn't happen completely in my life.

I am so thankful that I am under grace and Jesus has paid for all my sins. Past, present, and future. Yes, I am very blessed in spite of my failures. So, I will seek to not go down those paths because there is no reason to, but when I do stumble, I will respond in praise to God for his living grace.

Promise: I have legally been declared righteous which means that I have a standing before God that says I have kept His covenant

No comments:

Post a Comment