Saturday, September 27, 2014

Romans 8:9 - The Indwelling Spirit of God

Romans 8:9 - However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.

Message: The Indwelling of the Spirit of God in Me

Time: This book was probably written between 56 and 57 B.C. Paul was in Greece, probably Corinth when he wrote. It was sent to Gentile believers, but also believers with a strong Jewish element.

What the Lord is Saying:

Review
The end of chapter 7 seemed to show a contrast being the Law and the Mind. That, as new creatures in Christ, we want to fulfill the Law, but we still have sinful tendencies. Chapter 8 seems to be contrasting a life lived in the flesh versus a life lived according to the Spirit.

If the Spirit Dwells in You.
Obviously, one of the more contentious applications in the Scripture is whether the Spirit of God is immediately a part of the believers life upon believing in Christ for our salvation or if there is some separate act whereby the influence of the Spirit comes into our life. That there is some type of indwelling that must take place.

Up to this point, there has been nothing about Paul's words to make it sound like there is some separate act. Romans 8:2 mentions "the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and death." Romans 7:6 states that I have been released from the Law and serve in the Spirit. It is the Spirit that produces righteous living in my life. In reading chapter 7, verses 14-25 it speaks of this conflict between two natures. Verse 14, "The Law is spiritual, I am of flesh." When I don't do what I want, sin dwells in me (verse 20). So, even in the life of the Christian, there can be an indwelling of sin. And it culminates in verse 25 by reminding me that I am new in Christ. And because of being new I have a new mind. And I can serve the Law of God. But, I still have sinful tendencies.

So, what do I learn from chapter 7. I learn that I was made to die to the Law. I was made to be released from the requirements of the Law. I was made to be joined to Christ. And when I am joined, I might bear fruit for God. I don't like that word "might" because might is not definite but infers an option. The King James Version uses the word "should" which doesn't take on that much of a different meaning. I am to bring forth fruit and I can't bring forth fruit when I entwined with the doing the Law. Verse 6 seems to be clear that I have been released from the requirement of the Law, namely that I have been released from the Law being the judge and jury in my life. And now, I am to walk in newness of the Spirit. The rest of chapter 7 shows me two things: The importance of the Law to show me I'm a sinner and therefore, show me the need for a Savior. And also that in the life of a Christian there are two natures. Again, have I done anything to answer the question of whether or not the Spirit dwelling in me is automatic or a separate act? I don't think so. Not in chapter 7.

What happened in the previous chapter? Chapter 6 showed me that in Christ I am freed from sin (verse 7). In Christ my old self or ways have been crucified. But in 6:4 I see something familiar in the wording, "That i might walk in newness of life." So might could also mean a choice. I have a choice as to how I will walk. Consider myself dead to sin (verse 11). I have a choice as to how I live. Even though God sees me as dead to sin (verse 10, 11). God wants me to see myself the same way he sees me.

So, don't give sin the light of day (verse 12). Don't choose sin. In Chapter 6, the Spirit is not mentioned. The Flesh is mentioned one time to remind us that we are weak in the flesh (verse 19). People of grace are not to let sin be master over them for grace is contrary to sin. Obedience to the Law results in sin. But, people of grace are different.

But, I go back to my question, is there something separate about having a spirit dwell in me? Is there some separate act or is the indwelling of the spirit automatic? I don't know. I still don't see an answer to this in chapter 6 and 7. Again, Romans 8 speaks of living in the flesh versus living in the Spirit. A person is new in Christ but that doesn't mean a person lives in the Spirit. That's what I'm wondering.

In Chapter 5, I do have peace with God (verse 1). But, justification is definitely different from sanctification.

No Spirit, then you are not in Him
The end of verse 9 is therefore the part that confused me more, maybe. It says, "if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him." Clearly, I belong to Him. That has been established in the previous chapters upon my belief in Christ at the end of chapter 3. So, I do belong to Him. So, therefore, I have the Spirit of Christ. But, is having the spirit of Christ different from the indwelling of the Spirit. And if so, how does one, have this indwelling? Clearly, this is something I want so that I am not living in the flesh. The flesh cannot please God. So, I don't want the flesh. I don't want to serve the flesh. I don't want to obey sin. 

I don't think I have a conclusion at the moment. I have confused myself a little. 

One thing that does seem to be clear is that there is a new way of living. Don't let sin reign in me (chapter 6). I have peace with God (Chapter 5). The Law has no hold on me (chapter 7). Non-flesh living is Spirit living. So, if I have the Spirit of God do I also have the indwelling of the Spirit? It seems true that i have the Spirit of God upon conversion. I don't want sin. I don't want to be in the flesh. I want to live according to the Spirit.

Promise: The Spirit in Me is important for living not in the flesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment