Thursday, September 4, 2014

Romans 6:8-10 - Living to God

Romans 6:8-10 - 8 Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him. 10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.

Message: Living to die in order to live to God

Time: Paul wrote Romans from Corinth as he prepared to leave for Palestine. Phoebe (16:1,2) was given the great responsibility of delivering the letter to the Romans believers. At this time, Rome had a population of 1 million, many of whom were slaves. The Romans church was doctrinally sound, but it still needed rich doctrine and practical application. Rome had massive buildings but also slums.

What the Lord is Saying:

Background
I continue on in the discussion of a believers death to sin in principle. After a person has been justified and the righteousness of Christ has been transferred to a person or credited to them, they are permanently in Christ. In Adam, I was helpless as a sinner. Though people try continually to merit God's acceptance through deeds, through keeping the Law, being a good person, practicing faith, such as through baptism or circumcision or church attendance, before Christ, there is no partiality. Every person is unrighteous. No one does good. All of us need a Savior and Lord. When I believe in what Jesus did--living, dying, resurrecting--I am crucified with Christ. The reality is I am dead to sin. This is how God sees me. Yes, I continue to sin, but when I stand before God and He judges me, what He will see is me in Christ and not me in Adam. Adam sinned and sin and death spread to all. Christ died and justification spreads to all.

I am freed from sin.

Living with Christ
On the heels of verse 7, we are freed from sin. My old self crucified. My body of sin done away with. I am no longer a slave to sin. I can sing my freedom. And now just as I know I have died with Christ, meaning I have died to sin, I know that I will also live with Him. When Christ was raised from the dead, I also was also raised. I have been born again.  

What a privilege I now have in that I can live with Christ. O for more to understand the true meaning of this delight that we hold. God has granted me the privilege of living with His Son. My eternal roommate.

In Genesis 3, following the fall or the sin of Adam, God let Adam know that his days would now be numbered. From dust he came and dust he shall return. In Adam is death. Having sin results in death.

No more dying
In Romans 3:23, I learned that all who sin fall short. I learned there is none righteous. I learned in chapter 2 that when judgment comes it comes to all and all are accountable to God in the same way. But, now I am never to die again. Death no longer is master over Christ and so I live with Him. Death will come to me one day. But, death will me a momentary segue in my life to a new adventure. Lord, how I pray that I would look forward to this new adventure. I am so wrapped up in my present circumstances that I don't want to see them go away. If I remain here, help me to speak your truth clearly to many. Make me an ambassador for you.

Once and for all
Through the one sin of Adam, sin and death spread to all men. Through one death, sin was conquered for all. This sprung forth life and a life lived to God.

Promise:Sin's power over me has been broken.


No comments:

Post a Comment