Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Romans 7:12 - The Law in the Life of an Unbeliever

Romans 7:12 - So then, the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.

Message: The Law is a Good thing.

Time:Another source cites this book as being written around 56-58 BC. Because Paul himself was a Roman citizen, he had a unique passion for those in the assembly of believers in Rome. Since he had not, to this point, visited the church in Rome, this letter also served as his introduction to them.

What the Lord is Saying: 

In Review
When I die the Law will no longer have a hold on me. The theory is that I have died to the Law and I can now walk in newness of life. The outcome of the Law was death and it no longer has a hold on me. 

The Law told me that I had sinned. Because of the Law, sin seizes the day and the sinner begins sinning in ways he never previously thought possible. Without the Law, sin feels dead. Without the mirror, I can't see how dirty my face has become. And without the Law or standard in my life, I tend to think I'm A-OK. I feel healthy. If a person keeps the Law perfectly, it brings life. But, now i see it results in death. I feel like I have been deceived.

The Law is Holy
Don't miss this. "So then." The Law is holy. The Law is perfect and separate from the ways of the world. The commandment is holy and righteous and good. Righteousness can be pictured in the Law. Paul wants us to make sure that we realize that the Law is something good.

It is not like the sin that was crucified in our life and we have been freed from that sin and its ways and we are to embrace righteous living. Law is good. It is holy. It is a reminder that we need in life. We need the mirror in our life to see how dirty we are. I need to be reminded that I am indeed a sinner for I can never be dull of hearing of God's grace and what He has done for me. And the Law constantly reminds me of my need for a Savior.

Promise: It is good for us to have a Law.

No comments:

Post a Comment