Thursday, September 25, 2014

Romans 8:4-6 - Setting One's Mind On The Spirit

Romans 8:4-6 - 4 so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,

Message: The Spirit is willing, the Flesh is weak

Time: This book was probably written between 56 and 57 B.C. Paul was in Greece, probably Corinth when he wrote. It was sent to Gentile believers, but also believers with a strong Jewish element.

What the Lord is Saying:

Review
The Law cannot save a sinner. Jesus came in likeness of sinful flesh. God sent His son to pronounce sin guilty.

Getting back to the text here. I started out with the idea that there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus. So, despite the tennis match of the Christian, of seeing the freedom from the Law and then the desire to fulfill it, I do have sinful tendencies to live in disobedience to it. Unlike the non-Christian, the standard becomes clearer to me. The mirror is in my life and I see the sin of my life. But, at the end of the day, my peace with God has not changed. I will not be judged because Jesus conquered sin. Once again, Jesus condemned sin. He took care of sin's punishment for me. And the Spirit of God has set me free from ever feeling like I am guilty for my sin.

Contrasting the Christian's life with the non-Christian
The life of the Christian is a life lived according to the Spirit. In our flesh, we are not able to fulfill the requirements of the Law. In contrast, the non-Christian's life will lead to death as life is lived in worldly wisdom. As people fail, it is hoped that the conscience speaks to a person showing them the right way and it is hoped that this person sees they are unable to truely live in a righteous way. Yes, regrets will occur, but it is against the flesh and disappointing man.

It is kind of an interesting journey. The unregenerate person doesn't think they are a sinner in the sense that they don't think there life will yield separation from God. As they begin to uncover the Law, though, and their sin (like in Romans 7:6-13), they begin to see the Law and that it cannot save. As they trust in Christ then, they see their sin and understand the Law, they still have sinful tendencies. It is at this point there are two choices: (1) to work at being obedient to the Law, falling into the trap of a self-defined law and self-defined righteousness; (2) to realize Jesus has conquered the Law and their obedience is according to the Spirit and they never have to be condemned. So, for the non-Christian there is no sin. Then the regenerate understands their sin, but then they are to live like sin has no power over them and they are about fulfilling the Law.

Observing people and the Non-Christian's Life
I watch people and people don't look they are having in trouble with their life from a morality standpoint. They look at me and simply know that religion (my faith) is important to me. Going to church is something good to do to help my life more complete. Giving God air time is just good to do. I think this is why I hesitate sharing God's Love with them because they don't appear as if they are struggling. As I realized yesterday, it is only as I spend time in God's word that I discover how sinful I am. Without this, I live like life is okay and there isn't any big deal with it.

These verses today are for the Christian. Chapter 8, like 7 and 6 are about Sanctification, the condition of the Christian after justification, leading to glorification. Sanctification is our life lived on this earth, prior to being glorified with God in Heaven.

I am to be different in Christ - walking according to the Spirit
The Law is to be fulfilled in us. I am to be different in Christ. And I can be different now because I walk according to the Spirit working in my life, not according to the flesh. This is what verse 4 means to me. And then in verse 5, the Christian wants the things of the Spirit. The Christian's life wants to be of the Spirit. The Christian doesn't want to set their minds on the flesh. So, that is the tension I experience on a daily basis. I sit down to watch TV, to be entertained, and think of time I could be spending praying or reading in the Word. I have a desire to speak to others about their faith and their beliefs, but I go off in a different direction most of the time and don't confront people. I want to go to the mall to share my faith, but get distracted by personal commitments and duties. I am forever wanting to the things of the Spirit, but I too often am giving into to the things of the flesh. I drive to work and think about praying, but instead do something else, like listen to music. This seems to be verse 5. My mind is set on the things of the Spirit. It is there. But, I often turn the other direction. I often go down the road that really makes me no different from my non-Christian counterparts. Wow. I never noticed and realized what was going on there. On one hand, I want to live out the the things of the Spirit in life, but instead, I often revert to the ways of the flesh.

Ignore the Spirit and you end up with a life of death
And then verse 6 shows me the natural conclusion of just living a life set on the flesh. What results is death. The mind set on the Spirit is life and peace. This is the deception of the flesh. The flesh thinks it is alive. The flesh thinks it is about life, but in reality there is no peace in that life. There is living and going through the motions and not really thinking beyond the grave or in the afterlife or in outcomes. The mind set on the flesh is death. The mind set on the Spirit is life and peace.

Promise: The Spirit is there to take us through life, not help us or assist us, but take us through life.



No comments:

Post a Comment