Monday, September 22, 2014

Romans 7:24-25 - Deliverance from Death

Romans 7:24-25 - 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.

Message: Jesus delivered me

Time:Another source cites this book as being written around 56-58 BC. Because Paul himself was a Roman citizen, he had a unique passion for those in the assembly of believers in Rome. Since he had not, to this point, visited the church in Rome, this letter also served as his introduction to them.

What the Lord is Saying:

What Has Happened
Romans 7 comes to an end today. Chapter 6 was being dead to sin and now in chapter 7 it is about being dead to the requirements of the law or rather, the Law cannot deliver me from death.

I met someone last night and shared the Gospel with this person. When I started the conversation he was squarely stating that he needed to do good things in order to be accepted. I then took him through the 10 commandments (lying, stealing, blasphemy) and he admitted his guilt. I explained Jesus dying on the cross for our sins and it made sense to him. He understood. But, not sure if his life represented his faith. He told me church to him was getting a free meal. He went to the shelter's downtown to get a meal. But, I just don't know if he really comprehended losing his old life. And I must admit I struggled figuring out how to help him understand.

I struggle in these moments just wanting to say a person isn't saved. I don't think it is my place. I think by the end he felt like he wan't trying to be a good person. That God saves sinners and I pointed out to him how we do good works as a response to God's love not in trying to earn favor.

So much of this chapter has been on the Law not being able to sin and the Law exposing us as sinners. Yet, the Law is good. We are to fulfill the Law in our living. But, Lord, could Leander, my friend, ever understand these truths? Is this deep thinking that not everyone can understand? I struggle with this at times God. I appreciate the truths you have given me, but I struggle whether a person can still be saved with basic understanding.

The thing about this chapter and these verses is the recognition here of this person, first on the hills of regeneration in verses 7-13, but then being regenerated and seeing himself as struggling between obedience and the sin nature still inside. What I love in these verses is the recognition of sin in our life. It is seeing that I am a sinner and in need of a Savior. O how I need to be aware of my sin more and more each day.

Wretched Man I am
It is interesting how in verse 24 Paul declares he is wretched. But, it is appropriate because I find in talking to people that the people who don't spend much time in God's word and don't feel it necessary to attend church and don't pray very often are many often the people that don't think they are really that bad off in their relationship with God. They actually believe they are very close to God. And yet the people that do spend a lot of time in God's word and in praying and observing the ordinances of the faith, are often the ones that think they are far from God. It is the pious ones that struggle seeing themselves in Christ because they, perhaps, more clearly understand God's greatness and their own distance and wretchedness.

A person who is wretched or talaiporos considers themselves afflicted, miserable, or in a distressed condition.  And Paul is wretched because he can't rid himself of being bent toward sin.

And the wretched man is wanting deliverance. He understands that his body is one of death. What he does is not what he wants to do. He is sick. He wants to be set free. He wants to be snatched away from danger.

Thanks to God through Jesus Christ
So, Jesus Christ is the means to be freed from the power of death. What a very clear presentation of the one that takes care of all of our struggles and rescues us from the poor life. Thanks be to God for Jesus Christ. Jesus is the One.

The Tennis Match remains
Paul clearly states that Jesus is the Answer. We saw this message put forth in Chapter 3, 4, and 5. But now, in chapter 7, the message is that the tendency to sin remains. My mind has been changed and renewed and I want to serve the Law of God because I love it and I know what it means when I serve it. But, on the reverse, my flesh wants to go another direction. My flesh isn't listening and obeying.

This is the message of Chapter 7. I am saved by grace but I know I am still a sinner and I hate how that sin roars its ugly head.

Promise: Jesus is the Victor

No comments:

Post a Comment