Monday, September 29, 2014

Romans 8:12-13 - Debtors to the Spirit

Romans 8:12-13 - 12 So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh— 13 for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

Message:Debtors to the Spirit

Time: This book was probably written between 56 and 57 B.C. Paul was in Greece, probably Corinth when he wrote. It was sent to Gentile believers, but also believers with a strong Jewish element.

What the Lord is Saying:

Review and reaffirm
Verse 12 starts off with "so then" which prompts us to review. Reviewing is always good. I go back to chapter 7, verse 14 that says, "The law is spiritual, but I am of flesh." This was an important verse for Paul wanted to make it clear that the Law is a good thing for us. The Law had a good purpose, but it also exposed us and further defined the sin in our life. I think one could say that the Law's original intent was to set a standard that man would obey. Problem, no one can obey it completely. Why? Because of what is stated in chapter 5, verse 18, "through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men." Adam sinning meant we all sin. Sin entered the picture and death. But, thanks be to God, I have been set free from my body of sin/death (7:25). The Law condemned me, but Christ imputed righteousness to me so now I can reap the benefit of 8:1 that "there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus."

I'm not sure there is any greater joy in life than the realization that I am counted as worthy for not being worthy. The world trains us continually that in order to receive something good we must work hard (school grades, job pay, peer acceptance), but I am made clean not by doing, but simply by agreeing with God that I am a sinner and I need a redeemer.

I think of the Israelite's who stood at the edge of the red sea, still doubting and still in unbelief and yet God paved a way for them to safety by parting the the waters.

Again, look at what Paul does leading up to this verse.

Verse 2 - Life in Jesus has set me free
Verse 3 - Because Jesus sentenced sin to death while he was in the likeness of flesh
Verse 4 - Meeting the requirement of the Law
Verse 5 - So now the Spirit is in us, so now we live according to the Spirit
Verse 6 - I set my mind then on the Spirit for that is life and peace
Verse 7 - Reminder: The flesh is hostile to God
Verse 8 - Reminder: The flesh cannot please God
Verse 9 - I am changed, I have the Spirit of Christ in me
Verse 10 - The spirit is alive because of righteousness being imputed to me
Verse 11 - My life now has new life in me

And so Paul does what Paul does best is drill his point further. I am still amazed at people that can read these passages and not comprehend the truth or even be distorted down a different path. Paul goes over and over and over the same idea, finding new ways to reinforce it. Backwards and forwards.

I am under obligation to live by the Spirit
The sinner, not in Christ, walking in the way of the Law, is under obligation then to his flesh. When talking to people about their faith, I am often surprised when they say that they are living just to do the best they can, but in actuality, this is the paradigm in which they live and I should not be surprised. They are under obligation to their flesh. But, for the Christian in Christ a change has taken place. We are no longer under this obligation to the flesh. Yes, we have sinful tendencies as discussed in chapter 7, but our obligation is not the flesh. But, rather our obligation is the Spirit.

Is living by the flesh possible? Certainly, but I am a new creature in Christ, and so my bent or slant is to live by the Spirit.
 
Not the flesh
The way Paul introduces spirit living is not stressing what it should look like, but stressing emphatically what it should not look like. I am not under obligation to the flesh. I am not to live according to the flesh. If I do, I will die. That was the result of Adam sinning--death. I am no longer in Adam. I am to flee from things that harm me. I am to stay far from them. The tendency I have continually, as I live in the world, is to stay in the world and live the ways of the world. Paul says, "Don't do it."

Putting to death the deeds of the body
This is interesting. "Putting to death" expresses a process. As we engage in life and walk through life, we are putting to death the deeds of the body. Could it be that this is a process?

Twice today I sent emails to people, without first consulting a person involved in the email. I didn't give that person an opportunity to give their opinion. I didn't even think about it until both individuals wrote me separate messages and said, "I would appreciate you talking to me first to give me an opportunity to give a comment." I was not willful in not addressing them, but I just didn't consider it. My bent or slant was on my way of doing things, based upon believing my way was the best way and I didn't need anyone's opinion. But, I learned from it. And my focus is to be considerate of others and so I will change. My flesh is weak. But, I desire to live by the Spirit.

I don't know the evil always in my life. Sometimes it has to be pointed out to me. I think I'm fine, but then realize I am not. My hope is that I can continue to put to death the deeds of the body. I hope I can recognize my sin and continue to put it to death.

This also means I need to be careful about the expectations I place on other Christians to immediately have the same convictions that I have. We all have different past lives and old lives and different struggles. I must be dependent on God and realize He is changing people, but sometimes people are not quick to change. I can be involved in pointing things out, but I must remember, people may not accept my criticism very well, but that doesn't mean I should be silent. I must care enough to confront. But, I can't control outcomes.

Promise: From June 10 Tabletalk, "Justification secures our glorification, but sanctification is the road we travel between the two. We work with the Holy Spirit to grow in personal holiness."

No comments:

Post a Comment