Friday, September 19, 2014

Romans 7:18-20 - Our True Identity

Romans 7:18-20 - 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. 19 For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want. 20 But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.

Message: The Tennis Match of Good and Evil in my life

Time:Another source cites this book as being written around 56-58 BC. Because Paul himself was a Roman citizen, he had a unique passion for those in the assembly of believers in Rome. Since he had not, to this point, visited the church in Rome, this letter also served as his introduction to them.

What the Lord is Saying:

This has been a fascinating study. The focus has been on the Law actually being good. If there is a culprit in our life it is sin. True, the Law cannot save a person though that may have been its original intention. Sin becomes more aware through the Law, but so does then grace. But, in Christ, we still have sinful tendencies and still struggle with going over to the dark side. We are free in Christ and free from sin per God's perspective.

In Adam is nothing good
Paul paints a stark reminder of every man. There is nothing good in me (verse 18). The unregenerate person knows this because it was talked about in Romans 3. "There is no good in me. There is no one who does good. There is not one." But, the regenerate person also understands this. The good that I have in me is because of Christ. Sure, their is grief that occurs in Adam, in sinful man, that produces a sorrow and thus good works. But, could we say that all good has its source with God? And the difference in man is whether he acknowledges this or not.

I am willing
In Christ I am a new creature, and so in Christ I am willing to do good. All people are willing to do good. Each person with a conscience sees the right way, but doing good is not so evident. I know what I want to do, but I just don't do it (verse 19).

Man's nature is playing a tennis match with himself. Back and forth, doing right, not doing right.

Sin still is in me
And here it is. The reality. Sin is still in. The sinful tendencies occur because sin still lives in me. What must I do? Choose a different path. Surrender to the Lord and accept His provision in my life. Sin may be in me, but sin does not rule me. And its power over me has been broken in my conversion to Christ. The Holy Spirit is working in me.

In Christ, when I sin, it is not really who I am. That is the conundrum. That is why I have such a tension because I know I'm not doing that which now is natural and the natural tendency of me, now in Christ, is to do the good works God prepared me to do (Ephesians 2:10).

Martin Luther said, "We are at the same time righteous (in Christ) and sinners (in practice)."

Promise: Christians are not to expect perfection in this life, but neither are we on the losing side of the battle with sin. By the Spirit, we do progress in holiness as we aim for conformity to Christ. -- Talbetalk, May 16, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment