Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Romans 15:17-19 - What Christ Did Through Paul

Romans 15:17-19 - 17 In Christ Jesus, then, I have reason to be proud of my work for God. 18 For I will not venture to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me to bring the Gentiles to obedience—by word and deed, 19 by the power of signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God—so that from Jerusalem and all the way around to Illyricum I have fulfilled the ministry of the gospel of Christ;

Message: The Gospel of Christ spreads; praise to God for His work through man (Paul)

Time: Written in AD 57 from Greece, to the Christians, both Gentile and Jewish in Rome

What the Lord is Saying:

Paul puts forth that he is proud of the work God has called him to do. When he praises his work, it is only in relation to what God has done through him. He has been talking here about the ministry he has been given to the Gentiles. The Gentiles were formerly a group he hated and now God is using him to bring about their obedience, by word and deed, by the power of signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God. It is far reaching. It is from Jerusalem to Illyricum (modern day Albania, Macedonia, Greece). The message had spread.   

Think about this statement: "I will not talk about anything I did myself. I will talk only about what Christ has done through me." I have trouble imagining speaking like this. That all that I accomplish is testifying of Christ in me. But, I know that my mouth needs to be more aligned with this.

The Gospel not only calls people to faith, but it calls them to obedience. "God is using him to bring about their obedience." What a fantastic proclamation that God is using Paul to bring about the obedience of the Gentiles.

Promise: From Tabletalk on November 12, 2014, "Because we are God's instruments, our goal is to be faithful. He produces fruit through us; we do not give the growth. We live faithfully hard unto the God and by trusting Him to accomplish His purposes, and not trusting in our efforts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment