Monday, July 6, 2015

Romans 15:5-6 - Paul's Prayer for Harmony

Romans 15:5-6 - May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Message: Paul prayers for the Christian to live in harmony and glorify God

Time: Written in AD 57 from Greece, to the Christians, both Gentile and Jewish in Rome

What the Lord is Saying: 

In my Bible, Chapter 14 has the heading of "Principles of Christian Liberty" and Chapter 15 is "Practices of Christian Liberty." I suppose I can see a difference in the language although Chapter 14 begins with a practice, "accept the one who is weak in faith," but it is true that most of the chapter has the language of principles. But, there are other words of practice. 

But 15 does begin with the idea of "bear the weaknesses of those without strength. Now, here in verse 5 and 6, Paul gives a prayer to each person in the church at Rome, the Jewish and Gentile Christians. In the prayer he gives the concluding thought. He has given the people many principles.

Also, what I see is the phrase "perseverance and encouragement" is repeated. In verse 4, it spoke of the instruction I am given from Scripture, namely the Old Testament, and here in this verse it is what God gives, though God gives us His Scripture, so He is the author of it in both verses. 

Believers are commanded to persevere. 
  • James 1:25 - But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.
  • Ephesians 6:18 - keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints.
  • I Timothy 6:11 - But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. (Perseverance is implied).
The bottom line is we have been given numerous commands, but Paul makes mention here that "God gives perseverance." He is the giver of perseverance. 

Perseverance, as in the previous verse, is defined as patience in respect to things or circumstances. Jerry Bridges states that endurance is the ability to stand up under adversity and perseverance is the ability to progress in spite of the adversity. 

Reading these definitions makes me think that it is clearly a gift that God gives. "God, grant me the perseverance to progress in my walk with You, toward sanctification, through the trials and challenges that get presented before me. I too often think I can do things on my own. Too often I think that I do not need help. But, Lord, remind me that you grant perseverance. I need it and each of my family members need it. Give it." 

Encouragement is the calling of one's side. Encouragement is our chief aim. Throughout chapter 14 the underlying thought is to give to your brother in Christ. I am to encourage my brother and so I must be careful that my actions properly encourage. And all the while I need to realize that God gives encouragement. My ability to comfort, to exhort, to bring solace, all comes from God. 

God is the giver for the purpose of:
  • me being of the same mind with one another
  • me glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ
This is my aim to be of the same mind with one another (love one another) and then glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ (love the Lord God with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength). The message continues to be the same thought.  

Promise: Pray often for the peace and unity of the Body of Christ.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment