Saturday, July 25, 2015

Romans 15:30-32 - Paul's Appeal for Prayer

Romans 15:30-32 - 30 I appeal to you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to strive together with me in your prayers to God on my behalf, 31 that I may be delivered from the unbelievers in Judea, and that my service for Jerusalem may be acceptable to the saints, 32 so that by God's will I may come to you with joy and be refreshed in your company.

Message: Praying for Missionaries

Time: Written in AD 57 from Greece, to the Christians, both Gentile and Jewish in Rome

What the Lord is Saying:

Paul is making an appeal to his brothers in Christ to pray with him. He is not asking simply for them to pray, but that they would pray with him. I find this interesting because this is often how we are not asking for prayer. We generally don't petition requests, by asking people to come alongside us and pray with us. 

Also, there is nothing wrong with asking for prayer for oneself. It is also necessary to pray for ourselves. Paul makes this clear. 

His request is that:
  • He would be delivered from the unbelievers in Judea
  • His service for Jerusalem would be acceptable  
  • He would come to those in Rome
  • He would be refreshed in his visit

Appeal/Urge
Appeal - this is the Greek word parakaleo which means "alongside call" or to give strength or aid; it was used to describe the defense counsel in a court of law who functioned as the advocate and pled the cause of the accused. Paul is making an appeal or urging his brothers and sisters in Christ to pray. 

This is an example of prayer for missionaries. 

Romans 5:5 says, "the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us." The Holy Spirit is who gives us this love of God in our hearts. Galatians 5:22 says, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love."

Paul is appealing to the believers because of the Love of the Spirit in the believer's life. The Spirit gives this love to believers for God and bringing petitions to Him for others. So the Love of the Spirit will be fulfilled when we pray. And Christ will be honored. Jesus and His love for us quickens us to pray.

Over and over, Paul is presenting the idea that we need to be there for one another. I need to come alongside others in prayer. I am to lift people up. I am not to bring them down or be a stumbling block in their lives.

Strive Together
This is the Greek word sunagonizomai that means to strive together or contend for victory. It is two competitors coming together to run a race. Our English word is agonize. So, why is it so important to strive together? Because the enemy, the prince of this world, doesn't want to see a victory for God or for His people. Could it be that we do not pray because we do not really believe the enemy is that active in this world? I find that I often do not pray much or my urgency to pray is not that great. I pray because someone has a need and I want God to help them, but this is a striving together in prayer for those that are contending for the faith. Paul is on a mission to help people and he needs people to pray for him, so that the enemy would not be victorious, but God would win. But, it is not fighting with God, it is working hard together. Pray is work. I know in my Christian life prayer is something that happens last, not first.

I Be Delivered
Paul's request in verse 31 is "that I may be delivered from the unbelievers in Judea." But, as is stated later on his requests, the reason for being delivered was to be freed from suffering or pain, but so that he can continue in his ministry. I am so adverse to pain and suffering. I would almost say that it is something that I fear. I read about martyr's of the faith and I fear that. I could be a martyr but I admit I don't want to suffer or face that horrid pain. My friend shared with me recently about a couple of people that died for preaching the name of Jesus. Someone just shot them and it was over for them on this earth. That is a fear, but I need to trust the Lord's timing and trust His plan.

The Greek word delivered is Rhuomai which in secular writing described a soldier going to a wounded comrade on a battlefield and carrying him to safety. God, through the death of His Son, Jesus Christ, has delivered me from the dominion of Satan. I think of my mom and her prayers for me. They have been consistent. She has been a prayer warrior. She has battled on the battlefield for people. I know she is battling for my children. That isn't just a nice thing that she is doing for them, but she is striving for Satan to not win in these people's lives, but instead God would win in their lives. I can't wait to get to heaven and God tell me what those prayers of my mom meant and their far-reaching effect.

I also think of the Lord's prayer and one of the last phrases as recorded by Matthew in 6:13, "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil." This is an amazing part of the prayer. Jesus is asking us to ask the Father to not lead us into temptation, where Satan lurks, where evil lurks, where evil waits to trounce on the Christian, but instead that God would deliver (Rhuomai) us or carry us to safety. It is true that temptations are not a sin, but the prayer is that we would be led not in the direction of a temptation. 

I Thessalonians 1:10 says, "wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead, that is Jesus, who rescues us from the wrath to come." Again, rescues is the word Rhuomai. Rhuomai is in the present tense indicating that is our Savior continually delivering us. The middle voice is reflexive {"He Himself rescues us"} and emphasizes His personal involvement in the rescue. He initiates the rescue and participates in the carrying out of the rescue.

In reading the Old Testament, the Septuagint translates the word Redeem as Rhuomai or rescue as in Exodus 14:30, "Thus the Lord saved (Rhuomai) Israel that day from the hand of the Egyptians, and Israel saw the Egyptians dead on the seashore." Who delivers us? Jesus. And Paul understands as he asks for prayer that God would deliver him from those enemies in Judea.

And this it to be delivered from the unbelievers. This is another interesting word for it isn't a momentary disbelief among these people. It is apeitheo. In the King James it says those that do not believe. This is a willful disobedience. I think of the atheist that I speak to as well as others that willfully disregard the Bible. I need to be praying that I would be delivered from that type of thinking. That as I speak to that man his words would not ever rub off on me, but I would always be free from them. This word is in the present tense and so it is their lifestyle.

Acceptable Service
Paul wants them to pray that he would not simply serve the people in Jerusalem, but that his service to them would be acceptable. That is interesting. How often do I just serve thinking I am doing what I think is best, but don't take time to really see if my service is acceptable to others. I know words of affirmation are important to me. My mom was someone that always gave me affirmation. She spoke to me my love language. I served. I know I did. I tried to see things that were hard for her to do, like clean the house or do the dishes, and then I tried to do them for her at times. And in return, she responded with words of thanks and appreciation. That was really important to me. I must admit this is something I struggle with today. I like to serve and give to others, but there are few in my life that give me any words of affirmation. They happen. My boss gives me words occasionally as does Pamela. I wonder if I have given my kids much affirmation.

I will always remember Tyson scoring a basket in Upward's basketball and immediately looking at me. That is one of my greatest memories in life. There was another time, when he was little, that I got mad at him regarding something and he went and painted me a picture, remembering the good time we had at a Lobo football game I took him to. He wanted to make sure everything was okay between us and he used that picture to say he was sorry.  I still have that picture in my office. Tyson didn't always know how to communicate with words, but he did with looks and actions. He has emotions that are so precious. He needs my prayer. I regret so much the many times that I did not appreciate him. He is so special and now he isn't around as much.

Come to you with Joy
In verse 32, Paul asks that "I may come to you with joy." CS Lewis stated that the biblical meaning of joy is an “unsatisfied desire which is itself more desirable than any other satisfaction.” He says joy is distinguished from happiness and pleasure. It is the word chara and means inner gladness or delight. It is not based upon good circumstances, but it is to know that all is well between a person and his God.

Refreshing
And Paul wanted his visit to refresh him. Despite a fatiguing ministry, he needed to be refreshed. Our missionaries, who are serving in other countries, often need breaks to come to the country and simply be refreshed. We all need this time to stop and refuel and be reminded why we work so hard.

Promise: Prayer is to be more important in my life. Trust it. Work hard at it, interceding for others and not forgetting to ask prayer for oneself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment