Sunday, July 5, 2015

Romans 15:4 - The Value of the Old Testament

Romans 15:4 - For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

Message: The Value of All Scripture

Time: Written in AD 57 from Greece, to the Christians, both Gentile and Jewish in Rome

What the Lord is Saying: 

The Set Up
At first, verse 4 looks odd, but something I didn't note in the previous set of verses (15:1-3) was that verse 3 was a quote from the Old Testament. Quote from the Old Testament are always interesting. It is interesting to determine the context or the reason for the original writing. In this case, Psalm 69 is the chapter that is quoted and verse 9. This is not necessarily a chapter about Jesus. But, rather it appears to be a book to David and describing David's situation of a difficult situation and looking to God for help. Yet, verse 3 of Romans begins with Paul talking about Jesus, stating that Jesus did not please himself. Yesterday, the writing from Paul was about denying oneself and denying one's own personal enjoyment or convictions. Instead, do no please yourself, but please the other person. In the same way Jesus took on the reproaches (blame) of others.

Here is beginning of Psalm 69 from the Septuagint:

Save me, O God; for the waters have come in to my soul. I am stuck fast in deep mire, and there is no standing: I am come in to the depths of the sea, and a storm has overwhelmed me. I am weary of crying, my throat has become hoarse; mine eyes have failed by my waiting on my God. They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of my head: my enemies that persecute me unrighteously are strengthened: then I restored that which I took not away.

O God, thou knowest my foolishness; and my transgressions are not hidden from thee. Let not them that wait on thee, O Lord of hosts, be ashamed on my account: let not them that seek thee, be ashamed on my account, O God of Israel. For I have suffered reproach for thy sake; shame has covered my face. I became strange to my brethren, and a stranger to my mother’s children. For the zeal of thine house has eaten me up; and the reproaches of them that reproached thee are fallen upon me. And I bowed down my soul with fasting, and that was made my reproach. And I put on sackcloth for my covering; and I became a proverb to them. They that sit in the gate talked against me, and they that drank wine sang against me.
The phrase that is quoted in verse 3 is "the reproaches of them that reproached thee are falling upon me."  

In Psalm 69, David begins with the proclamation that he is hurting. He is overwhelmed. He has cried too many tears. He is hoarse from calling on God. And his enemies are numerous. There are many that hate him just because they desire to hate. He, however, does not think he is above being judged by what he has done. Yet, he has tried to honor God through his words and deeds. And that honoring has not resulted in goodness to his life. 

David is a spokesperson or messenger of God's. And the people know this and so blame God for their current situations, but do it towards this man, David. David is who the people see so he is the one that receives the blame. And this really should be true of a Christian. A Christian should be an ambassador and should be living their life in such a way that it is very distinct and different from the way other people live their lives. Jesus was different. Jesus lived a different sort of life. Jesus stood out. Jesus did not blend in with everyone else. He was not a chameleon. He stood out. And He stood as God's representative on earth. And so, like David, took the blows from people. Jesus bore our sin. David bore complaints. There is similarity and Paul takes this phrase, originally applied to David, and applies it to Jesus. 

Jesus bore the sin of mankind. He took on the evil of the world. 

Current Verse
This is the reference point for verse 4. "For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction." I am not to look past the words of the Old Testament. They are there to instruct me and add value to my faith and life. Don't look past them. 

And it is to give me hope. It is through the endurance of the Scriptures. They are not just for a period of time, but are meant to endure. The words of old show me that God has been working in people's lives throughout history, long before me. And they are to encourage us. They are to encourage me. 

Our Hope is in Him. 

Promise: There are not any unimportant parts of Scripture. It is all given for our edification. 

No comments:

Post a Comment