Sunday, June 7, 2015

Romans 14:10-12 - The Judgment of God in Christ

Romans 14:10-12 - 10 But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God. 11 For it is written,
As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to Me,
And every tongue shall give praise to God.”
12 So then each one of us will give an account of himself to God.

Message: Leaving Judgment to God

Time: Written in AD 57 from Greece, to the Christians, both Gentile and Jewish in Rome

What the Lord is Saying:

I continue to walk through Romans 14, which I think looks at Christian Liberty, or how the Christian is to live in a multifaceted world that has many different choices and points of decision, and many of these are not directly addressed in the Word of God. So, in these matters, how am I to conduct myself? As a Christian, I have already seen some key principles in the preceding verses: 
  • "Each person should be fully convinced in his own mind." - Verse 5; To me, this means as the Holy Spirit convicts me of sin or things points of emphasis or discipline in my life, I am to examine my life and go forward fully convinced. 
  • "Whether we live or die, we are the Lord's." - Verse 8; To me, this means that no matter what these differences may be, the bottom line is I am in the Lord's hands and my life is to lived to Him and for His glory. This is my motive. This is my number one motive in life. I am not living to benefit myself, but for His glory and praise. 
  • "Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another?" - Verse 4; To me, I am to not ever make it that I am somehow better than another person because I think my convictions are correct. This is a huge application to me. I can be convicted about something but never to the point of belittling someone else. But this doesn't mean I should never judge, for the scripture is clear that judgment is necessary upon my brother that is publicly in sin. 
People love to focus on other people's sin or problems. It is our human nature to look down on others as it shifts the focus off of us and onto someone else. It means that we don't have to look at ourselves, but just the log in someone else. 

Why do you judge?
I remember Romans 2:1, "Therefore you have no excuse, everyone of you who passes judgment, for in that which you judge another, you condemn yourself." This was after Paul showed the digression of the person that rejects God in chapter 1. No one has an excuse, but when we judge someone else, we condemn ourselves. Again, it isn't that we are not supposed to judge, but we must be careful when we do it and how we do it. I'm thinking of church discipline for one. If there is a question or doubt, then simply leave it up to God. 

Each of us will give an account
I think I often judge someone else because I am impatient. And I want to be God. I want to be judge and jury and give what I think is rightfully to another person. I am subtle with being critical. But the important thing is to remember that God has it under his control. He will take care of it. Each person will give an account of himself to God and every knee will bow before God at one point. 
  
Promise: I ought to be more concerned with how my thoughts and attitudes will be evaluated on the final day than with how God will measure the heart of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment