Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Romans 14:5-6 - Honoring the Lord

Romans 14:5-6 - One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God.

Message: Our motivation

Time: Written in AD 57 from Greece, to the Christians, both Gentile and Jewish in Rome

What the Lord is Saying:

Paul begins this chapter by reminding the reader that people are at different spiritual levels of maturity. Many are weak in their faith or young in their faith and like maturity in understanding principles. But, I am not to seek to correct that person, necessarily, or make them feel like they are in the wrong, but "welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions." 

And then in verses 2-4 was a discussion about respecting people that have a conviction to eat only vegetables versus those who eat only meat. Paul seems to be clear that people will have different convictions, but we are not to pass judgment on someone for being different, "it is before his master that he stands or falls." 

And now Paul moves to people that have determined that one day of the week is more highly esteemed that another day. Then, he brings together the idea of observing days, eating, or not eating or abstaining that the motivation is what is key. What is the reason people do these things? Each person should desire to honor God. That is the motivation of each person, to honor God and give thanks to God. 

I am not to look down on people with these convictions. My concern is often is people get in arguments over what is the correct doctrine and then place this view of doctrine on a higher plane. But, it seems to be clear in these verses that Paul is recognizing that there will be differences, but other subjects such as "all have sinned" or that the righteousness of God has been imputed or pressed upon the person who has faith in Jesus are central. If the Bible is specific, then we need to follow it, but if the Bible is not specific, I think we need to examine our motives and make sure our practices are truly honoring God and giving thanks to him. 

There are many examples: homeschooling versus sending a child to public school, witnessing door to door versus more lifestyle evangelism, having music in the church versus singing acapella, large churches versus small churches, churches that meet in people's homes versus those meeting at a facility or building, paid staff versus all volunteer staff, parachurch versus church work. So, I think it is important that I have respect versus waging a war of disagreement. 

I think this is also an area I struggled as a parent. I had trouble accepting the childish ways of my children and wanted them to act differently, but I didn't take the time to just see them as being childish. I saw children that never misbehaved in church and so thought my children should act the same way or saw children that were courteous and talked to their elders and so thought my children should be the same way, but my motivation was not so much focused on honoring God, but looking bad and looking like I wasn't a good father. I had pride issues and I took it out on my kids. I really regret this because I fear I removed some of the fun by punishing the kids for putting their elbows on the table or cleaning their room. So, there was a hard balance in all of this.  

Promise: Mature should come along the immature and respect their views, not seek to correct them. Our goal is to honor God and give thanks.

 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Chris. This is me to a T. As a result I am living with estrangement. I am praying with you to the Lord our God. Amen

    ReplyDelete