Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Romans 14:19 - Peace and Mutual Upbuilding

Romans 14:19 - So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Message: Building others up

Time: Written in AD 57 from Greece, to the Christians, both Gentile and Jewish in Rome

What the Lord is Saying:

So let us then definitely aim for and eagerly pursue what makes for harmony and for mutual upbuilding of one another. - Amplified

So then we must always aim at those things that bring peace and that helps strengthen one another. - Living Bible

Therefore let us pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another. - New King James Version


For me, the overriding theme I see from this text is having a concern for others. It is a willingness to put aside my own momentary desires or wants in order to build up another person.

The beginning of verse 19 has the same thought in mind in each translation with the phrases, "let us pursue" or "we must always aim" or "let us definitely aim or eagerly pursue". Thus, this isn't a statement of, oh by the way. The overriding thought of the believer in his relations to one another is to seek peace. This is something that is definitive and means I must make a special effort.

Philippians 2:3 says, "do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than ourselves."

I do not think that this means we cannot disagree. I also do not think that this context means unity in thought. Right now, in my life, I am in in a state of personal sacrifice as I raise my children. Their needs are greater than mine own. However, This does not mean I give them everything they want. But I am the parent, the authority, often the strong person, and I need to behave in such a way that I am aiming for eagerly pursuing peace in our relationship. This presents a challenge. It is a daily struggle. I have a need to provide for my family and do those things that are best for them and it is hard to navigate between what they want and what I think is best. I tend to err on the side of giving them what they want which is often at the expense of my own desires. I hope that I am making the right decision but I also think I get too focused on thinking there is only one right decision. I guess I just hope that by giving them what they want I am not harming them.

Well, back to the passage.

I think it is somewhat of a given that I am going to do what's best for myself. And so it is necessary to be reminded that I am to build up others. One of my favorite verses is Ephesians 4:29, which to me says we are to not tear down others with our words, but edify them, or bring them up. 


Warren Wiersbe says that our desire is not to get everyone to agree with us, but to pursue peace. Don't cause others to stumble, but help them to grow and mature in Christ. 


One of the things I liked about attending a small church was the building up that takes place among different age groups. And yet small churches don't always yield this. I attended a small church and people lived in a rural area and were accustomed to being to themselves and not opening up or sharing much. So, the small church didn't guarantee community. 

I've noticed that some churches have two different services, catering to different likes of worship styles. The problem is this manufactures separation rather than community. It may not be the intent, but it is tragic that we cannot compromise.
 

Promise: If I desire to focus on others and everyone does this, then each person's needs will be met.

No comments:

Post a Comment