Saturday, August 22, 2015

Psalm 119:9-16 - God's Word In the Heart

Psalm 119:9-16
How can a young man keep his way pure?
    By guarding it according to your word.
10 With my whole heart I seek you;
    let me not wander from your commandments!
11 I have stored up your word in my heart,
    that I might not sin against you.
12 Blessed are you, O Lord;
    teach me your statutes!
13 With my lips I declare
    all the rules of your mouth.
14 In the way of your testimonies I delight
    as much as in all riches.
15 I will meditate on your precepts
    and fix my eyes on your ways.
16 I will delight in your statutes;
    I will not forget your word.

Message: God's Word in the Heart

Time: The psalms were written by many different people across a period of a thousand years in Israel's history. They are thought to have been compiled and put together in their present form by some unknown editor shortly after the captivity ended about 537 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying:

Background
In beginning to read Psalm 119 yesterday, I felt like the first 4 verses were sort of different than what began in verse 5. From verse 5 on, it seems to be a prayer. The first 4 verses were more of a declaration that we need to have a perspective or an orientation to walking a blameless way, walking and keeping the law of the Lord, seeking Him with our whole heart, acknowledging that God has asked us to keep diligently His commands. This is who I am in Christ. This is my position before the Lord. The Lord calls me, I answer, and my life is to be lived in purpose to Him and His commands. And then I discover that while I thought at first it was primarily about being secure with God forever for eternity, as He learn and walk in His ways I discover this is the only way to live in peace. Suddenly, there is a freedom in Christ.  

Here is verse 9 continues the prayer. 

A young man ponders his future (v. 9)
Looking at verse 9, I see a statement and then a man confessing to the Lord a desire. "How can a young man keep his way pure?" I think sometimes I have forgotten what it is to be a young man. Young men are specially exposed to temptation. As a young man, principles are still being established in their lives. The young man is pondering the question, "How can I be saved from the corruption of my own heart, and escape the temptations to which I am exposed to in my early years and lead a pure and upright life?" 

But, I also see that maybe this question is not even being asked. I think at its most rudimentary level the Christian is actually always asking or should be asking himself questions. As life is lived in the world and an engagement occurs with the world and its ways, are we asking questions? Or are people just living? I think what I see often is there is simply a going through the motions of life which occurs. Acceptance and belonging are so important in those early years. So the ambition is not necessarily purity, but instead it is belonging to another. So, the young person needs to ask the question and even be reminded that seeking purity is important. 

The answer to this question is to take heed and guard themselves according to God's word. And yet this may still be the question. The Hebrew of this phrase is "to keep according to thy word." And so the second phrase is not the answer yet, but instead a continuation of the question, so "how can a young man keep his way pure, guarding it according to your word?" But, the answer would still be for the young man to guard his life according to God's word. It is true that life needs to be anchored by God's words. 

With my whole heart I seek you (v. 10)
Yet, I see something a little different in verse 10 if the entirety of verse 9 is the question. Verse 10 begins with the statement, "With my whole heart I seek you." 

It is interesting, one of the major turning points, I believe, in my marriage, has been to really hone in and live out that little principle from Paul in Ephesians, "Husbands, love your wives (Ephesians 5:25)." I tried so hard over the years to find ways to fix my problems, setting up accountability partners, making sure I am not in compromising situations, reading and memorizing God's word. I do think all of these things are good and needed and necessary, but it wasn't until I really focused in on the idea of "loving my wife" that then those things made sense and worked. But, it started with having a love for my wife. 

And here in this verse 10 is the phrase, "With my whole heart I seek you." As the psalmist writes those words, "according to your word," the word he speaks of, at that time, consisted of what? Not sure, but it definitely wasn't much. It was mostly words to Moses. At this time, the Word was still evolving and would for hundreds of years. And yet their were basic tenets that were clear. 

I think what is important is to read verse 9 and 10 together. Yes, we are to start with seeking the Lord with my whole heart. It is because I have a desire to be pure, but it is in the context of God's word. Those must stand interconnected and not be separated. People in life, over time, will definitely see each of those at different times and in seeking them they will think they have achieved it all, but they all must stay connected. 

I notice in society right now that Love becomes the highest ideal, but Love is only truly love in the context of recognizing Who created it. Just because I feel love and feel a belonging doesn't mean it is correct. It must be in the context of God and His word. I am not to wander from His commandments. 

I think one of the big applications of this right now in society is the homosexual relationship. The focus is on love and two people loving each other and that becomes the highest good. Then, after that is achieved, then they try to bring the Bible into it. The bottom line is homosexuality is not consistent with biblical teaching. From Adam and Eve, to even Jesus, the assumption in relationship talk is a man and woman, a husband and wife. What homosexuals do is begin with premise of love and then try to define the Bible around it. The context of these verses is to start with a desire for purity, base it on the commands of God and then seek Him with our whole heart. 

Treasured God's Word (v. 11)
This is a great verse, "I have stored up your word in my heart." God's utterances or His words are the treasure in my life. It is deposited into my heart. I work hard and earn money and then money allows me to buy things I need. I work and build up mini-treasures that allow me to live. This is the idea, God's word is our treasure. 

And these words, treasured or stored in my heart, are there to keep me from sinning. I should be a changed person with God's words close to me. 

Teach me (v. 12)
What has happened? I have yielded to you Lord. I do not want to wander. Your word is stored up in my heart. Now, teach me. Make me more and more acquainted. 

My lips declare (v. 13)
This is not an inward, personal, practice of following God's commands and sticking to His ways. This is something my lips will declare. My mouth makes known to others the change that has occurred. I do not simply study God's word to be personally well versed, but my zeal is to show other people. It is to help others see and know God's truth.

I delight in God's laws (v. 14)
This is not a toil or a burden, but this is my delight. I love having things and buying things and filling my lot, but in the ways of God I delight, as much as in all riches

Mediate (v. 15)
You words will I meditate on and fix my eyes on. 

Not forget (v.16)
I will not forget. This will not be a momentary thing in my life. The world will try to crowd my thinking with other things. But, I will not let it happen.  

Promise: The Bible is not simply stored in our lives and homes. It is studied, it is meditated on, it is my delight, my treasure, it is taught, my lips speak of it, I never forget it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment