Monday, August 17, 2015

Psalms 51 - Psalms

Psalms 51

Message: Psalms

Time: The psalms were written by many different people across a period of a thousand years in Israel's history. They are thought to have been compiled and put together in their present form by some unknown editor shortly after the captivity ended about 537 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying:

To be wise, one needs to have a strong prayer life.  I have said earlier, that wisdom comes about by the fear of the Lord. It is honor and love for the Lord. It is to have reverence and awe. It is to resolve to apply what God has revealed in order to live a life that pleases Him in thankfulness for the salvation that He has provided.

Part of learning is also deepening oneself through the act of prayer. It is leaning on the Lord and trusting Him and His ways. It is talking to Him in an open and honest manner. It is being transparent and allowing Him to be transparent with us. What we want is wisdom. What we want is learning to see life from His perspective.  

Psalm 51 was read recently in church during the confession of sin part of the service. It was very good. Ryan does this and does this so well. I love his perspectives. 

Have mercy on me, O God, (I have sinned, but look past it)
    according to your steadfast love; (You can, because you Love)
according to your abundant mercy (Your mercy is great)
    blot out my transgressions. (Erase my sin)
Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, (Your washing yields no more sin on me)
    and cleanse me from my sin! (I am clean)

For I know my transgressions, (I confess and I see my sin)
    and my sin is ever before me. (It is clear)
Against you, you only, have I sinned (My sin is a sin against you)
    and done what is evil in your sight, (It is evil in your sight, not simply bad)
so that you may be justified in your words (Sin does not belong in front of you)
    and blameless in your judgment. (You are free from sin and its result)
Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, (Sin marks my beginning)
    and in sin did my mother conceive me. (Sin marks my beginning)
Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, (But instead truth is your delight)
    and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart. (You teach me wisdom)


Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; (Make me clean)
    wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. (You make me white)
Let me hear joy and gladness; (You make me glad)
    let the bones that you have broken rejoice. (You take the broken and make it joy)
Hide your face from my sins, (My sins will be far from you)
    and blot out all my iniquities. (My sins will not even be seen)
Create in me a clean heart, O God, (May my heart be clean)
    and renew a right spirit within me. (Make my spirit right)
Cast me not away from your presence, (Though I deserve to be far, bring me close)
    and take not your Holy Spirit from me. (Keep  your Holy Spirit near me)
Restore to me the joy of your salvation, (Bring back the joy of my salvation)
    and uphold me with a willing spirit. (Bring willingness to me)

Then I will teach transgressors your ways, (I will show sinners what your ways mean)
    and sinners will return to you. (Many will know you)
Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, (Deliver me)
    O God of my salvation, (God of my salvation)
    and my tongue will sing aloud of your righteousness. (You are the righteous one)
O Lord, open my lips, (Give me speech)
    and my mouth will declare your praise. (I will praise your Name)
For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it; (You do not need a sacrifice)
    you will not be pleased with a burnt offering. (Or an offering)
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; (What you want is a broken me)
    a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. (I want to be contrite before You)

Promise: Come to the Lord when I sin. Do not run away. Hide myself in Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment